Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Stash: new purchases + a few more strays

I'm getting the existing stash part out of the way first. The newest of my new purchases are further down, so if you're uninterested in this top part just scroll down!
What I have here are three polishes off my "MIA" list plus the two new polishes from KBShimmer (both of which I've already worn and posted pictures of).

on top:
  • Harlow (Zoya Matte Velvet) - a plummy-pink with shimmer that's really beautiful. I usually end up wearing all the Matte Velvets with top coat, because it brings out their shimmer in them.
bottom row:
  • Dirty Sexy Money (Misa) - this is more green than it looks like in most pictures. It's also a near-dupe for Color Show Tenacious Teal (or more likely it's really the other way around, since I think DSM is an older color.) If it was a bit brighter I'd call it a crayon-green - it's in that neighborhood, anyway.
  • Chimera (OCC) - a silver-green foil, very different but I never think it really looks good on me, unfortunately.
  • She's Beyond Kelp! (a new KBShimmer duochrome/metallic flakie for summer) - a blue-to-green flakie that reads like a foil. It mostly reads green but the blue shift is pretty strong when the light hits it right. (Here's my mani that I just took off. I had it on for most of a week.)
  • Witch Way? (KBShimmer) - I'm guessing from the name that this was a Halloween polish. (The link above says it was part of an Autumn collection, so I guess that comes to the same thing.) It's a dark grape-y purple jelly with pretty heavy holo glitter. (my mani here)
As for the MIAs, these were the top 3 polishes on my list which I linked above, and I found them practically the minute I went looking for them - they were in my boxes mixed in with everything else, which was what I suspected all along. They just managed somehow to get skipped in the picture-taking process. I haven't come up with the rest of that list yet, though.


As for other new purchases, I went on a little tear of ordering stuff and everything is here now, so here are the other new additions. Absolute New York is a brand I had never heard of, but they are apparently a sister brand to Nicka K NY, which I had, so when I saw these on an Ipsy special offer I thought I would try them out. So far I'm very pleased with them - they have a really nice formula (a bit streaky but that's not surprising with these kind of colors). Note that there are wheel swatches of all these further down!
across the top:
  • Bronze Foliage (Virago Varnish) - it's not something I'm likely to wear much until fall, but this is so beautiful that I had to order it when I saw it. A glitterbomb of fall metallics in mixed sizes and shades. (There aren't many pictures of it online that I could find, other than Virago's own, so that's what the link is to.)
  • A Dragon Is Not A Slave (Paint Box Polish) - this polish is so bright in the bottle that I thought when it arrived that it was a Spectraflair-type holo polish, which it's not. It's a green jelly base packed with gold & green holo glitter, instead. Look at the wheel pic below and you can see the glitter bits. Apparently you can build it to opaqueness or at least near-opaqueness, but I'm thinking I'm going to try it over a darker green and see how that works.
  • Nourishing Cuticle Oil (Paint Box Polish) - I really did the PBP order for this, not for the polish above, much as I like it. I'd heard good things about this cuticle oil, and since I seem to prefer oils over balms, I wanted a purse-friendly oil. This is .33 ounces of oil in a rollerball dispenser. Mine is citrus-scented, which I adore, but it comes in a great variety of scents if citrus is not your thing.
bottom row (all Absolute New York polishes - I can't find any swatches of these anywhere, but see below):
  • Blue Email - This is not really a neon blue but it's pretty bright. It's darker than cyan, lighter than teal. This one was thicker than the others - it was pretty opaque after one coat, on the nail.
  • Purple Neon - not a neon, but a bright-orchid creme. Very pretty.
  • Dear Tiffany - I thought "oh, this is going to be a Tiffany blue," but really it's not, because it's greener than that. I need to compare swatches with Dirty Sexy Money above, because it really seems to me to be more in that ballpark (although possibly it's a bit paler than that one).
  • Magenta - this one is the only one that I would call a neon. It's very bright, brighter than it looks from the bottle picture below or the swatch - more like what it looks like above, really.
Here's a screenshot of the Ipsy offer on the four polishes above. They were $10 including shipping, and since they retail for $4.99 each on AbsoluteNY's website, it's a good deal. (It sold out some time ago, sorry!)


And the wheel pictures:
Bronze Foliage (one coat over black) and A Dragon Is Not A Slave (one coat on its own!):

Purple Neon, Magenta, Dear Tiffany, Blue Email:
I wasn't keeping good track of the coats when I did this, but I believe this is probably three coats on all, because these were still looking pretty sheer after two. Possibly only two on Blue Email. 

No comments:

Post a Comment