Thursday, June 28, 2018

Nail care: top-coats

Yesterday I did base-coats, today it's top-coats. With base-coat you've mostly got ridge-filling vs regular formulas, but top-coats seem to be somewhat more specialized.
(This is my mostly-empty bottle of Glitter Food. I like it but I don't know if I'll ever get around to ordering another one, because I just use Gelous for glitter-filling purposes.)

regular/quick-dry top-coats I liked which are still available:
  • Butter London Hardwear
  • HK Girl (apparently now just known as Glisten & Glow)
  • Kensington Caviar (NailsInc)
  • Seche Vite
some specialty top-coats:
  • Gelous (American Classics)
  • Glitter Food (Nail Pattern Boldness)
  • Matte All The Things (Pretty Serious)
  • Miracle Gel (Sally Hansen)
  • Vinylux (CND)
  • We're All Matte Here (Lucky 13)
(I put links on a couple of these but basically I think this is stuff you will be able to find easily.)



and some discontinued ones that I liked:
  • Matte Me Crazy (NYC)
  • Insta-Dri (Sally Hansen)
  • Revlon Colorstay (old versions)
  • Sally Girl matte
With top-coats, I do sometimes assume that flakie or shifty or holo top-coats (like, say, Zoya Leia) can do double-duty as a replacement for a regular top-coat. A lot of them seem to do fine, even if they're not specifically made for that purpose. Some clear polishes work pretty well, too - a lot of people used to use NYC Grand Central Station like this, but I don't think you can get that any more.

As I've said in the last couple of entries, I don't really have a holy grail here. For one thing, I feel like some that I really liked have been discontinued. All of these are fine. I think on both base- and top-coats, I veer back and forth between lower-priced and higher quality, partly because I'm not really convinced in my heart of hearts that higher-priced is much better. And I have never really gotten on the fake-gel bandwagon (or the real-gel one either, but that's not so relevant here) so my bottles of Vinylux top-coat and Miracle Gel top-coat are still almost full.



tomorrow: cuticle care, remover, & more

No comments:

Post a Comment