Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Purple season

Like a lot of people, I have a tendency to do my nail polish in seasonal colors - orange in the fall, red and green in December (up until Christmas, at which point I go on a glitter binge if I haven't started before then, that usually carries over well into January), pink and red up til Valentine's, green in March, etc etc. And of course there's sort of a gap here between Valentine's and the point in March when I start thinking about St. Patrick's Day - especially in a year like this one when Mardi Gras has already gone by. I'm not Catholic, and I don't even drink much, nowadays, so Mardi Gras and St. Patrick's Day have no particular meaning for me, but still, they're strongly associated with certain colors, and I like that part of them.

Well, anyway, in the last big entry I said that maybe I'd try purple when Valentine's Day was over, and that's exactly what I did. I did Milani Purple Rush, which was one of those shimmers I talked about in that same entry, and then I did Revlon Plum Attraction, which leans more red-violet. Then I did zigzag off into some other colors, which I'll get to, but while I'm on the purple theme, I also went on a Walgreen's binge today, thanks to a $5-off-$20 coupon, and came home with 4 polishes, 3 of which are basically purple. I spent $16 and I decided that that was close to being half-price off of retail for all of this. I got two of those Revlon nail art wands (which are $8.99 but were buy-one-get-one-half-off AND had a manufacturer coupon for another $1 off). One is from the "Moon Candy" line and it's Orbit, a dark purple undercoat and a lavender-ish glitter. The other one is one of the neons with the white undercoat, in Ultra Violet. I also bought Sally Hansen Xtreme "Pacific Blue", which is a periwinkle and looks pretty purplish to me. (The 4th one is also Sally Hansen, CSM Black and Blue, which is what it says, a blackened blue. I can't call that one a purple.)

The non-purple things I did in the last two weeks were Essie Crocodilly, which is a magnetic polish, and which may have an entry to itself later because the metallic part didn't turn out so well. But I love the gray-green color, anyway. And over the weekend I slapped a couple of coats of Let Me Go on, on the way out the door to work one day, and then added a couple of coats of FeiFei on top of that. (Let Me Go is so sheer that I don't think it made much difference to FeiFei. It just looked the same as it usually does.)

Now, what do I do next? It's going to be purple, I know that, but one of the new purples, or something I already have? I'm not sure myself what the answer is!

(ADDED: The next thing on my nails is, apparently, SH Salon Plum It, a very dark purple, with SC Winterberry on top of that. Which comes out as a very elegant, slightly grayed-out purple. I like it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment