Saturday, January 19, 2019

2018 honorable mentions: Pretty Serious

I'm not going to say you'll never see Pretty Serious in my yearly favorites again, because I know I have at least one unworn polish that might conceivably turn up there in the future, but (unless some of my lost order* shows up on my doorstep someday, which I'm not holding my breath for) it's probably the last time you're going to see more than one of them. Pretty Serious is gone and they went down spectacularly enough that I can't imagine them coming back in anything like their past form. (And for that matter, I don't think they were really intending to anyway.)

*I have to say that I didn't lose any money on Pretty Serious' ugly ending, because I got my money back from Paypal, but I know other people did lose money, and if you're one of them, you're definitely entitled to be much more pissed off at them!

But anyway, in my year-end wrap-ups, I always take anything in the top 20 which is no longer available and lump those together as my Honorable Mentions category. That way the ones that I really feature are the ones that you can still actually buy. This year I had sixseven Honorable Mentions, which were half indies and half Pretty Serious (added: plus one stray Essence which I keep forgetting about!). So I decided to put the three PS ones in this one post.

The one that probably would have had a shot at the top 3 this year if Pretty Serious was still in business is My Immortal:
Honestly, say what you want about PS' recent business practices and I'm not going to argue too much. But you gotta admit that Kaz could come up with a good polish formula. This is freaking beautiful. Gorgeous blue with green or maybe just aqua shimmer, and I keep feeling like I see some purple shift in there too. I looked up other people's blog entries and apparently nobody but me is seeing that, so I don't know, maybe I'm just imagining it. (Also note that in fact, My Immortal was a 300-bottle LE in the first place, so it would have been in the HM category no matter what - short of me changing my own rules, anyway.)

Here's my post from when I first bought them, where I talk about both My Immortal and Generally Hazzardous (which I'll get to below). But first I want to cover the other polish that is in the same colorway, or at least it is if you assume I'm right about the purple shift. But anyway, this is Cybernetic:
(I was looking at Pointless Cafe's swatches and wondering why they look so different, but in fact if you read down she says she swatched it over black. Which would explain it, and I may have to try that, but I haven't, so far.) This is one of those polishes that's totally in my wheelhouse, because it's all cool colors mixed together - purple, blue, and green. This is a microglitter, so putting it over a black base actually makes sense. Note that it also means it may be a little difficult to take off, but my feeling is when you've got something this beautiful, I don't much care. (I also didn't realize that this is a polish that dates back to 2013 - which is when the blog-post linked above was written. I had some vague idea that this was a newer polish.)

She compares this to Purple Monkey Dishwasher, which (semi-) coincidentally I had already swatched on this wheel. I was intending to make a wheel with my 20 favorites, but (typically for me) I couldn't put my hands on all 20 of them, and I added a few runners-up instead of the missing ones. So that's why we have a fourth PS polish here.

Here's Purple Monkey Dishwasher:
It does kind of look like this is just the dark pieces from Cybernetic made into a polish. Which is fine. This isn't my very favorite PS purple (because Poltergeist Puddle exists) but I'm pretty sure it's #2.

Aaaand the only polish here that's not cool-toned gets pushed off to the bottom, even though I like this one a lot too - that's Generally Hazzardous:
It's orange with gold shimmer, and it's really beautiful too.

Here's the whole wheel:

No comments:

Post a Comment