Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Stash additions: binge edition

So here's the big list of everything I've gotten lately, in alpha order by name (bottle pictures are here and here, and there are swatches at the bottom). Also, since virtually all of these were bought on sale, one way or another, many of them have limited availability. I've put notes on some of them where I know they are still available as of the time I'm writing this. (Some of them may be available from other sources like Amazon, anyway, of course. And I think at least a couple of the Lynnderellas may still be available, too, but with the way they are sold - i.e., mostly on eBay - it's hard to be sure!)
  • Alexa Lace (Nails Inc.) - believe it or not, this is my very first Nails Inc. polish. I think this was an Alexa Chung collaboration. It's a matte glitter (or maybe technically satin) in red, and it's an unusual mix of shapes that does come out looking rather like lace. (I was looking to see what other polishes were in this collab - it was Alexa Leather, Alexa Lace, Alexa Sequins... there was also cashmere, and stars and hearts and at least a couple of colors under an "Alexa Edit" name. It's a bigger collection than I realized.)
  • Alpha Nail (Nail Pattern Boldness) - a blue-to-purple-shifting duochrome topcoat. (Still available from NPB here.) (2015 mani over red here)
  • Bit Faker (Butter London) - gorgeous mixed-metal glitter in the copper/bronze range, which can be built to opaqueness in two coats.
  • Blue Rouge (Lynnderella) - periwinkle and various purples - despite the name, it's much less blue than Forget You Not. Similar to Viola but paler. (I guess the name makes more sense if you think of it as blue plus rouge - red - which, after all, makes purple on a color wheel.)
  • Bubblegum Punk (Rescue Beauty Lounge+R29 collection) - iridescent shimmery cellophane-ish top-coat. Sort of hard to describe but really beautiful. It becomes very close to opaque, at least, with 3 coats. (Available from RBL here.)
  • Cauldron Drippings (Lynnderella) - orange glitter and random(ish) mixed glitter - she says every bottle is different - in a clear base. Mine has bar glitter, among other things, but not enough of it to be seriously annoying. It's very pretty - in a mega-Halloween kind of a way!
  • Excuse Me I Blurpled (KBShimmer) - blue and purple glitter, my favorite combination. It looks like the base is actually blurple. I swatched this over a black base and it was very dark that way. I believe it's really intended to be worn on its own.
  • Explosive (Formula X) - really wild metallic holo glitter in a black base. (Sephora's description is "black rainbow mega-glitter" - I've also seen it called the perfect New Year's Eve polish). Still available at Sephora at the moment.
  • Fly (OPI mini) - from the Nicki Minaj collection, a turquoise cream, maybe a bit lighter than the average turquoise.
  • Forget You Not (Lynnderella) - periwinkle (i.e., blue-violet) satin glitter in a blue base, with pink shimmer
  • Good Girl Gone Bad (Deborah Lippmann) - this was a holiday 2011 polish, a sparkly wine-red. It's gorgeous. I try not to obsess about polishes in this higher price range because I just don't need to be paying full price for them - so I'm glad I didn't know about this one til I had an opportunity to get it at a bargain price!
  • Graffiti (The New Black ombre set) - These are a bit odd, these sets, but I'm glad I got this one, because it'll be fun to play with. It has five separate mini-polishes - they don't seem to have individual names - and some of the other sets are various shades of purples and so on, but this one is black and silver and gray. It has a black creme and a shimmery one and big silver glitter and fine silver glitter. I can't see doing one finger in each but I think it'll be good for layering.
  • Love Potion No. 99.9 (Lynnderella) - my understanding is that there was an old formula that was just called Love Potion 99, and then the new formulation is 99.9. (But I can't swear to that.) It's got orchid leanings but it's darker than Orchid Of The Year, which I already had. Basically, it's purple glitter (somewhat red-leaning) with maybe a slightly purple-tinted base - almost clear - and some scattered small red glitters.
  • Scrangie 2.0 (Rescue Beauty Lounge) - Ji's blurb about this talks about oil slicks, and man, maybe I'll see that when I look at this in other lights, but so far I can't see it at all. I called it a fall-ish polish. (The second link is also the link to buy it, fyi.) Anyway, it's also described as "complex" and that I absolutely buy. I honestly thought it was a sort of a bronze metallic when I decided to order it, and I don't think that's completely off, either. Now that I'm looking for it, I guess I do see the oil-slick effect. A bit. Anyway, complex is certainly right and I'll probably have more to say about this after I wear it! (more swatches) (Note: that was the wrong link, but I finally noticed and have corrected that!)
  • VamPink (Lynnderella) - I'm not sure how I ended up with so many Halloween polishes - three of the six Lynnderellas - but eh, I love Halloween and anyway, neither of these two with vampire names really look exactly like Halloween colors so I can wear them whenever. This one especially - it's various pink, magenta and black glitters in a pink base.
  • Very Pretty Vampire (Lynnderella) - this looks different than I thought it did at first. It's not exactly Halloween - what it is is goth. It's red, burgundy, and black in a clear base. It has big pieces including some good-sized squares, although I haven't really managed to fish any of those out of the bottle yet!
  • Viola (Initial Lacquer): ...and in fact this very possibly the very bottle that I now possess, in those pictures, since I got mine from Oh Three Oh Four's blog sale. This is mixed purple glitters in a purple jelly base, with some small glitters in other colors mixed in. I had never even heard of this brand, but then it looks like she's not making polish any more, so I guess it's best not to get too attached to the brand!
plus:
Glitter Food (Nail Pattern Boldness) - made to be a top-coat that evens out glitter, although I've heard people say they also use it as a base under their glitter, and I'm currently testing that out. I'm going to have lots of material to test both those uses out on with all these Lynnderellas! It actually has a third use, as well - the other use is as "Fix-a-Flat" - you use it to sort of re-suspend glitters in the bottle. (The link above has a photographic demonstration of that.)

Okay, swatches:
This is some of the new top-coat things compared with some that I already had. Left to right we have Gossamer (Jin Soon), Alpha Nail (NPB), Bubblegum Punk (RBL) and an oldie but a goodie, Hard Candy Jailbait, all over WnW Black Creme. Jailbait does not look so much like the others over black, but the effect is generally similar. I talked over here (towards the bottom) about these polishes while I was doing the actual swatching. Gossamer looks pink-ish, Alpha Nail looks blue-ish, and if those two are fraternal twins, Bubblegum Punk is their shinier cousin.

Here's Bit Faker over black, Wet N Wild Black Creme on its own (which is what's under almost everything this wheel), Alexa Lace, Scrangie 2.0, and Alexa Lace again, this time not over black. (Scrangie is not over black, either.) Alexa Lace over black is rather similar to the one Lynnderella, but I like it. The link way above has it layered over a pale pink and that was pretty as well.

Here's Bit Faker, without undies and with the black undies:
You can see that it builds pretty easily to opacity, on its own. I think it looks really good both ways, though.

Also, I filled that blank black space up there with Cauldron Drippings:
I should point out that none of these have topcoat at all - it becomes pretty obvious on some of these big glitters. Anyway, I imagine I'll wear this over orange, when it comes right down to Halloween, but it looks pretty cute this way, too.

The only one of this bunch that's new is the first one. This is Explosive (Formula X), Snowflakes (Color Club), Travel In Colour (China Glaze), and Fire Fly (Jesse's Girl). Explosive is really splashy, as I think I mentioned above, although you can't really see it here. Interestingly, to me, the smaller glitters in Explosive look exactly the same size-wise as the ones in the next polish, Snowflakes, but they read really different from a distance. Rather than reading like a loud holographic, Snowflakes reads more like a flakie - I guess it's a flakie in glitter form? I guess that's possible. -- Then after that we have Travel In Colour, which as I already knew, reads pretty pink, and it covers more than these others. And the fourth one is Fire Fly, which I'm always forgetting to wear but which I've always thought was gorgeous when I did remember to wear it. It almost looks greenish here, but really I think it's just sort of colorless, or maybe silvery. It just adds shimmer.

Explosive without and with undies, and I'm happy to see that you can get more of a hint of the rainbow effect in these pictures:
It has a gray base and you could wear it on its own, certainly, but I think I like it over black more, in this case. I may save this one til winter because it's so seriously flashy, and I usually get in the mood for that in the winter. We'll see.

Let's see, this is Viola, the Initial Lacquer one, and then Love Potion 99.9 and VamPink. You can see that VamPink does look pretty pink, and that Viola is somewhat more blue-violet, where LP99.9 is maybe more towards neutral.

Here's Fly, Good Girl Gone Bad, and Excuse Me I Blurpled again, you've seen that one above. I had to start a different wheel, and I ended up filling half of it with the Lynnderellas without topcoat, because it made it easier to see what was what in the glitter. The two Llarowe polishes I got in the mail tonight are also on that wheel, so I'll probably have pictures of all that later on. I also think I'm missing large pictures of some of the Lynnderellas, so I'll go back and fill that in too, in case anybody besides me cares!

Here's the whole black wheel once it was completed (well, it's all over black except the two I pointed out above, Scrangie and Alexa):
(I have gone back to writing the names on the wheel because even though it's messy, it gives me a record of what's what. I am too scatterbrained and when I put the list somewhere else I tend to lose it!) (And I remembered after a while that I quit using Pigma Pens on these - that's the ones that are smeared, on the left - and went to using fine-point Sharpies instead, because those hold up better on the plastic.)

No comments:

Post a Comment