Monday, January 20, 2020

Favorites!! for 2019

I went through the polish I wore last year - the first half of the year I was doing really good at keeping a list, and the second half of the year I fell off on the list-keeping but I started posting everything on Instagram instead - and I cut really severely and came up with a shortlist of only eight polishes. That's a very low number, for me. I usually have trouble getting down past twenty.

So here's what I've got - it's three purples, three fuchsias, a steel-gray and a blue-green. (I haven't been this much into fuchsia in a long time! I've always liked it, but I over-did it on fuchsia polish for a couple of years and then didn't have the urge to wear it much for several years after that.)

I put these in order by brand, since so far I haven't settled on one particular favorite:
  • China Glaze Since 1969 (from the Sesame Street holiday collection)
  • China Glaze Who Wonder (from the Grinch collection last year) 
  • Heather's Hues Think Pink (the only indie here, surprisingly)
  • Morgan Taylor Sarong But So Right
  • Nails Inc Holler-Graphic Get Out Of My Space
  • SH Insta-Dri Metallic Seaweed (one of the Crayola Colors)
  • SH Insta-Dri Matte Violet Velvet
  • SH Mega Strength Sorry Not Sorry
The Grinch polish reminds me to say that my rule has always been that anything that I first wore in a particular year is eligible - it doesn't matter to me if it's actually a new polish or not. The Nails Inc Holler-Graphics must go back to late 2018 as well, and I don't have any idea when Sarong But So Right came out.

Let's see if I can produce pictures for all of them.

This is Since 1969, probably with matte top-coat:
 I've seen people say they hated this one, but I loved it. Particularly with matte top-coat, but really I enjoyed it both ways!

This is Who Wonder after I'd had it on for a week - pretty good!
There are more NOTD pictures and a swatch picture here. It's interesting to see there that at the time, I was just kind of, "meh, another pretty bright pink" - I guess it's grown on me!

Here's Think Pink:
The wheel swatch is here. This has a pink base but it leans more lilac to look at, to my mind.

I think I had had Sarong But So Right on for several days before this picture was taken:
It's tempting to lump it in with that "oh, another fuchsia" thing that I was talking about above, but this one is noticeably more purple - more on the raspberry side, really. (Swatch here.)

Here's Get Out Of My Space, which as you can see is a medium-purple holo:
I like these - they seem to be an interesting mix of linear and scattered holo. The polishes labeled "Holler-graphic" come in a variety of colors, but they all seem to have this same formula, as far as I can tell. (I looked on NailsInc's website and these are mostly gone from there, but that doesn't mean you can't find them around if you're so inclined.)

This is Violet Velvet, from the Insta-Dri Matte collection:
I really liked all of these I've tried, but this one stood out to me the most. (I can't find a picture of the other Insta-Dri on this list, which was Metallic Seaweed from the Crayola Metallic collection. I may have to do something to rectify that!)

And last we have Sorry Not Sorry, from the new-ish Mega Strength line:

So far I haven't decided on one single favorite, which I've done the last several years - if I manage to pick one I'll let y'all know!!

1 comment: