Friday, November 2, 2012

Fingernails

I think this is going to become a nail blog of sorts. I keep wanting to record what I'm doing with my nails and  if I do that in any detail, the posts become way too long for Twitter. I did posts like this on G+ for a while but I stopped doing that ages ago and for some reason I'm not especially interested in starting that up again - and this blog is sitting here unused, and the name is more or less apropos, so what the heck. This probably is not going to be what I think of as a "real" nail blog - meaning picture-heavy - because I seem to suck at taking pictures of my nails. I might post a few pictures now and then but they will probably be iPhone pictures and nothing great - as demonstrated below!

So, my early-November manicure is copper-themed. I think I have on a whoppin' 7 coats of polish at the moment, as follows:
1. Sally Hansen Salon Manicure base coat
2. OPI Decades of Shades (light brown), 1 coat
3-4. Orly R.I.P., 2 coats
5-6. Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Pumpkin Spice, 2 coats
7. top coat - I think I used Revlon Colorstay

R.I.P. and Pumpkin Spice are both coppery-orange glitters. (I would call them copper, myself, but other people seem to think they're orange, so I'm compromising on the description.) R.I.P. is hex glitter in a black jelly base, with a little silver microglitter thrown in for good measure. Pumpkin Spice is what I would call a "traditional" glitter - not a microglitter, not a large glitter - in what I think is a brown base. I bought R.I.P. last week (after reading Miss Holly's post about it which I will link below) and I imagine it's a limited edition polish; Pumpkin Spice is left over from last year, but I think it's still available. (I hope so, because at this rate I'm going to need another bottle soon.)

Here's (the iPhone picture of) my pre-Halloween incarnation of R.I.P., over black:
It does look very Halloween here. So trying to make it look not-so-Halloween, I started with the light brown, this time - specifically Decades of Shades, a color that I've previously referred to as "baby-poop brown" but which I keep to use for layering purposes. I figured that when you put the black jelly over it, it would look like a much darker brown, and it did. Then I layered the Pumpkin Spice over that, and I really like the results. It toned down the Halloween look without covering up the R.I.P. completely. (If I remember, I'll take another iPhone picture of it in the light, later.)

Other people's takes on these polishes:
R.I.P., from Misshollyberries:
Pumpkin Spice, from Swatch and Learn:

No comments:

Post a Comment