Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Orly foils

I ask my husband periodically what color he wants me to paint my nails, and he tends to answer with something fairly nontraditional - I think the last time before this one, he said blue, and when I asked him yesterday, he said, "How about gold?" I only have two things that really qualify as gold - an old Cover Girl gold glitter, which I wasn't about to try (I save stuff like that to use around the holidays), and Orly Glitz, which I last wore just a couple of weeks ago. So since I didn't really want to wear either one of those, but I did want to make an attempt to follow his suggestion, I ended up pulling out some of the Orly metallics I bought last year. I have Glitz, and Rage, and Peacock (I didn't actually pull that one out, but I think it qualifies), and also something called Flagstone Rush that is sort of a brownish copper, a really good fall color.

So since I had just worn Glitz lately, I decided to try Rage. I remembered that I didn't really like Rage the one time I'd previously worn it, but I couldn't really remember why. When I put it on, I remembered why - I love Rage in the bottle, but it's just not a flattering color on me. It comes out pretty pale, and pale colors just do not really look good on me - at least I guess that's why. I don't usually think I look good in gold, either (or yellow - presumably because I have pale and slightly sallow skin, and yellow or gold brings that out). Oddly, Glitz looks alright on me, which is exactly the opposite of what I would have thought. 

I showed what Rage looked like to Rob, so he could see that I tried! and then I started layering stuff over it. (Although I might try layering Rage over something darker the next time, and see if that helps.) I did Flagstone Rush, and then I put a couple of coats of Pumpkin Spice over that - which did not come out near as glittery over Flagstone Rush as it did over RIP, but it did twinkle things up just a bit.

I got in a rush this morning and didn't put top coat on, so I may be re-doing the whole thing. I'll report on how that comes out later.

UPDATE: "Starting over" came out as Flagstone Rush and then Rage (2 coats), which looks much better. Still very pale, but not in a bad way. (But then this afternoon I broke a nail, so now that's messed up, also - which means I may be trying yet another variation on this soon - or possibly something entirely, entirely different. I'm moody that way, so you never know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment