Sunday, September 8, 2013

Nail wheel Sunday? - greens

"Nail Wheel Wednesday" has much more of ring to it, but that's Karen's thing, anyway, and while I'm sure she would let me borrow it, I'm probably never going to be consistent enough to do a specific thing on a specific day. That would just not be me, let's face it. But I do have some nail wheels done and I can't stand not to show them off.

Before I go back to nail wheels, let me say that the reason I wasn't heard from all week was that I had the same polish on all week. Morning, Moneypenny did last very well, even if it looked like random blobs of color that got even blobbier as the week went on! Meanwhile, my order from Nostalgic came in, so now I have on As If! over On a Trip, because purple seemed like it'd be a good contrast (and it is). Here's a blurry picture from the car:
(In case anybody ever worries about all those pictures taken in my car - let me reassure you that I do take them at stop lights, at the very least, not when I'm in motion. There are several very long lights on my way to work, that's usually when you get these. Or sometimes they're taken in the Starbucks drive-through, or when I'm about to get out of the car. Can you tell I don't do much advance planning on this?)

These are the first nail wheels I've ever bought. I got them from some random seller on Amazon, 10 for really-really-cheap and they shipped for free - from Hong Kong, so it took them a while to get here but I didn't mind waiting. (If I remember to look and see who I bought them from, I'll let you know!)
As I said last time when I put the preview up, the writing on the wheel itself is basically for my own edification (especially for later when I can't find the separate list I made) and I pity anybody else who attempts to interpret all of this, considering that I can barely read it myself. Here's the list, starting with the two-tone one on the far left. I got a bit more methodical about keeping track of coats after this wheel, but I think these are mostly 2 coats unless otherwise noted.
  1. Two-Timer Stars (partially over Leaf Him at the Altar)
  2. Cutie Colada
  3. Ivy League
  4. unnamed lime green
  5. Cutie Colada over Ivy League
  6. Rock Candy
  7. unnamed green
  8. Tenacious Teal
  9. Ipanema Girl
  10. Rikki over Ipanema Girl
  11. Emerald City
  12. N-Evergreen
  13. Symbiote (actually gray)
  14. Lizard Belly (3 coats)
  15. Kale
  16. Irene
  17. Crocadilly
  18. Rikki over Leaf Him at the Altar
  19. Rikki
  20. Leaf Him at the Altar
Symbiote (#13) is not actually green, it's gray, but it's hard to tell with some of these - Lizard Belly in particular looks gray in the bottle, and apparently I couldn't tell the difference between Kale and Symbiote in the bottle, either. I decided just to leave it here.

Here's the wheel and all the green polishes - I think Symbiote had been banished back to the gray box by the time I took this.


Overall, I was experimenting around with whether to layer half of a nail like I did on #1, or give it a separate whole nail like I did on #5. I've finished four wheels now and I'm inclined to think what I did on the very first one works the best. But you'll see it both ways in the next several wheels.

I did bottle pictures (below), and I attempted to line them up by the correct portion of the wheel, which was sometimes more successful and sometimes less so!

Here are 1-4, the lightest greens. It's hard to see the numbers on some parts of the wheel, but #1, again, is the two-tone nail. #5, to the left of the texture, is #2 over #3. #1, the old-style Maybelline, is pretty definitely intended to be a top coat.The Cocktail Colours all seem to be "buildable sheers" and I have mostly actually been wearing them over another color. Over Ivy League, Cutie Colada mostly just adds shimmer. On its own, it's quite pale. And the Maybelline is almost invisible on its own until you build up several coats.

This is 6-12, mostly the brightest ones. There's one more number than there is polish because #10 is layered, Rikki over Ipanema Girl - you'll see Rikki alone later. You can see that #6, the Gumdrop, is much more silvery-gray than the rest of these. 7, 8, & 12 are slightly more blue- although I don't think any of them qualify as full-on blue-greens. The Layla, # 9, is very bright - I'd call it more or less a Kelly green. Emerald City - fittingly - is really the only one that I'd call a true emerald green. (Including Viridian, which is on the next wheel.)
 

This is 14-16 - or actually, 16-14, since going L-R this is Irene - possibly my favorite all time green - and then Kale and Lizard Belly, both holos. I love all of these, actually. 

And finally, this is 17 (the magnetic that doesn't like to work right - I'd be complaining a lot more about that if I didn't also like the color!) - and then 19 & 20. (And this is the one where I didn't get the wheel turned to the right place - you can see 17 & 18 (which is actually 19 & 20 layered together) but you can't see 19 & 20 separately.)

Overall, I think it's pretty obvious that it's the dark and greyed-out greens that I like the best. The yellow-greens aren't flattering on me, and the pure greens I just usually think are too bright, although I wear all of these at least occasionally. But things like Irene and Kale are the ones I love. (I haven't even tried Leaf it at the Altar on myself yet, but expect to see it soon!)

And I really like the nail wheels, overall, just because it's easier to see the differences between colors. I have my boxes sorted by color and these are going in the appropriate box for reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment