Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Blue and blue-violet nail wheel

Moving on around the wheel, we've had greens and blue-greens, now we have blues and blue-violets. The lesson here, to me, was how few real blues I actually have. I had to go fairly seriously into the blue-violets to fill the wheel up.

Here's everything I put on this wheel:


And here's just the wheel itself:
  1. Shy (3 coats)
  2. Cabo Cruise (2 coats)
  3. Apple Berry Smoothie (2 coats)
  4. Liberty (2 coats)
  5. Mesmerize (2 coats)
  6. unnamed blue mini (2 coats)
  7. Blue It (1 coat)
  8. Blackout (2 coats - but didn't really need it)
  9. Midnight Cami (2 coats)
  10. Indigo (2 coats)
  11. Montana Sky (2 coats)
  12. Blueberry Fizz (2 coats)
  13. Pacific Blue (1 coat)
  14. On a Trip (2 coats)
  15. Not So Blueberry (2 coats)
  16. Grape Going (2 coats)
  17. Fiji (3 coats)
  18. unnamed purple/blue glitter mini (partly over Jet Black)
  19. Dancer Is the Best Reindeer (partly over Jet Black)
  20. Apple Berry Smoothie (1 coat) over Jet Black 
This is numbers 1-4:
#1, Hard Candy Shy, is so pale I never wear it. Colors like that are why I never buy pastels. The Fergie, Cabo Cruise, is the one that stained the hell out of my nails, to the point that I've been afraid to wear Zoya Liberty, #4, because I've heard stories about it staining, too. (I'll get over it sooner or later, because it's a beautiful color.) #3, Baby BelliniApple Berry Smoothie,* is quite sheer, like all the Cocktail Colours I've tried, but it's really pretty. That's also it over Jet Black as #20.

*The names of the Cocktail Colours make no sense to me. Cutie Colada is green, Apple Berry Smoothie is blue, Baby Bellini is purple. Apple Berry Smoothie in particular confuses me; in my brain that should be the green one.

This is 5-8:
5 and 7 - Essie Mesmerize and Xtreme Wear Blue It - are pretty much the only things I own that are what I think of as middle-of-the-road blues - royal blue would be the conventional name for that, I guess! Everything else is either superbright cyan blue or a very dark blue or a blue-green, it seems - including #6, which looks royal blue in the bottle, but went on cyan.

This is 9-12:
I should have tried Montana Sky (#11) with a base of something to see how it did. I guess I'll have to try that sometime soon and report back! And as I said at the time I wore it, the blue Gumdrop one (12) is very silvery and pale - I really should have put it back at the beginning next to Shy.

13 through 16 is where we start segueing into blue-violet:
I thought at first that Pacific Blue, #13, was more periwinkle than I've found it actually is - it does have maybe a hint of that, but only a hint. Putting it next to On a Trip (#14) probably makes it look even more blue. 15, Not So Blueberry, is an outright blue-violet shimmer. And 16, Grape Going, is a duochrome with a strong blue flash.

And here's 17-19:
Fiji is another very blue-violet one (it's also quite sheer), and then we finish off with two purple-and-blue glitters, which look very similar on the nail, actually. Not quite dupes, but close.

Next up is the more neutral part of the purples.

No comments:

Post a Comment