Monday, September 16, 2013

Metallic nail wheel

I started off the nail wheels like I was going to go around the color wheel, and that is eventually my intent, but I stopped after doing green and blue-green in order to do all the metallics. It occurred to me later that I could have done the metallics according to their underlying colors - that is, I could have treated copper and rose-gold as pink, brass and gold as yellow, bronze as (I guess) yellow-green, and silver as gray. (This would incidentally have given me the advantage of having something to put on the wheel for yellow since I have NO other yellows whatsoever.) However, that's not what I did. I lumped all the metallics together with the few glitters that didn't fit anywhere else, instead.
  1. Gold Rush over Jet Black
  2. Tiara over Jet Black
  3. Trailer Trash
  4. Celeb City
  5. Luna
  6. Tiara
  7. Twisted Tinsel
  8. Gold Rush
  9. Traffic Stopper Copper over I Only Shop Vintage
  10. Traffic Stopper Copper over Jet Black
  11. I Only Shop Vintage
  12. Rage
  13. Glitz
  14. Funky Monkey (4 coats)
  15. Crush on Lava 
  16. unnamed copper shimmer
  17. Holiday Spirit over Jet Black
  18. R.I.P.
  19. Party of 5 Glitters over Jet Black
  20. unnamed silver glitter over Jet Black
Mostly these are two coats.

A lot of these have a black base, and as noted, I used Hard as Nails Jet Black a lot. It's not my very favorite black, and it's also my oldest, so I figured it was a good candidate to use here. It's mainly not my favorite because it takes 3 coats to be opaque, which makes it a bit of a pain to use here, but eh. In at least one case it smeared and became not-opaque again while I was dabbing glitter around on top of it. (See #10.) But anyway, it's black enough to get the idea.

Somehow the end of the wheel kept merging with the beginning, on many of these. I guess that's why it's a circle, right? Anyway, this is 1, 2, 19, and 20:
The gold one is an older Cover Girl polish, as is probably pretty obvious. I think it might be the oldest polish I have nowadays, although I'm not sure about that.

I was trying to be all organized, and I took some pictures with the bottles all lined up (don't get used to seeing this!) - this is #1-5:
I have to say that Trailer Trash - which is the Hard Candy, another older polish - is probably my favorite-ever silver, because it's a toned-down silver. It doesn't look that different than Celeb City, next to it, on the wheel, but I like it far more. Celeb City is always too blindingly metallic for my taste.

This is #6 (Tiara again) through 10, plus Jet Black, which as I mentioned before is all over this wheel:

11 through 15:

and 16 through 20:

I prefer the pictures where you can see the bottles AND the wheel, although I know it's a bit more difficult to sort out. This is 9-14 again:

And 14-18:
A couple of comments here: (1) I only own two multicolor glitters, in the Lippmann Happy Birthday sense: one is Party of Five Glitters, which is 19, and the other one is Sation Holiday Spirit, which is 17 and which is a much smaller glitter and which I like much better. It's beautiful. Party of Five Glitters doesn't really do that much for me. (2) I know last year I kept thinking Orly RIP really had copper glitter rather than orange glitter, but I suspect I was looking at it in direct sun when I said that because it looks very orange in these pictures. And (3) is that that unnamed glitter is much pinker than I thought it was. The colors in that set overall don't always look like you'd expect. (And I forget to wear them much, so I haven't actually tested nearly all of them out.)

Next up: I go back to the color wheel, and do blue and blue-violet.

Also, for the record, I've had a couple of manicures go by since I last posted. One was Colorstay Rainforest, which is a dark-green glass fleck, and which I totally love, and the other one was an oldie but a goodie, Sinful Colors Winterberry, which I guess you would call a sort of a slightly browned-out purple. It's really pretty, but it defies description, a bit. (Nouveau Cheap says here that it has some taupe in it, which I guess is maybe a better way to say it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment