Sunday, September 29, 2013

Violet & red-violet wheel

I find the color "violet" vaguely confusing. Maybe it's because I'm from Texas and I had never seen a violet growing in the wild until I first went to Ohio to visit my in-laws. (My mother-in-law looked at me like I was insane when I saw one on the ground at the park and said, "What's that?" I had no idea that was how they grew.) Anyway, for whatever reason, I have trouble with the difference between purple and violet. I suspect I'm not the only one. But when a purple starts having noticeable red tones, then I know that's a red-violet. (I also tend to use the term blue-violet for blue-leaning purples, mostly because that lets me avoid the word "blurple" which I think is just an ugly word.)

So this wheel starts with some fairly neutral purples but then shades very much into red-violet.
(more under the jump)
This is kind of messy-looking because I was experimenting again - I put "stripes" (that's how I ended up thinking of it) on some nails - Jet Black at the tip and Zoya Harmonie, a neutral, fairly light purple, at the base, and then you can still see the color by itself in the center part.
Everything is 2 coats except as noted. On some nails I started the second layer a bit above the first, as I did on the last wheel, so you could see what it looked like with one coat.
  1. Sugar Plum Fairies Gone Wild
  2. Island Couture
  3. Suri (1 coat)
  4. Pitter Patter
  5. Just a Little Dangerous
  6. Private I
  7. I Love You (striped with Jet Black & Harmonie, as noted above)
  8. Daul (striped)
  9. Violet Femme
  10. Purple Rush
  11. Hypnotic (magnetic)
  12. Carly
  13. Purple Potion (Fantasy Makers, in tombstone bottle)
  14. Baby Bellini (striped)
  15. Scandalous (striped)
  16. Plum Attraction
  17. Roxy
  18. unnamed red-violet mini
  19. Ultraviolet (nail wand, with white base)
  20. Break Through
1 through 5:
There's a lot of variation in these colors, obviously. Not a lot of dupes here! #1, Sugar Plum Fairies Gone Wild (which is now discontinued, although some Sephoras may still have some hanging around, possibly!) is a chunky purple glitter, very girly. #2 is Orchid (brand) Island Couture and is just kind of a medium purple creme, but one I especially like. #3 Suri is darker, and 4, Pitter Patter (named in honor of the royal baby) is darker still. 5, Just a Little Dangerous, seems to read a bit more grape than the others.

6 through 10: 
I'm not sure all these colors are picking up very accurately. I don't think Private I is this burgundy, and Daul is more purple than this looks. You can definitely see how Purple Rush, on the far right, is redder than Violet Femme, next to it.

11 through 15:
11 and 12 are very red-looking in this light, at least. But Carly is pretty reddish so that is probably accurate. The Purple Potion in the tombstone bottle (as opposed to the Xtreme Wear Purple Potion that was on the last wheel) - has a black base, but the glitter is it is more towards red-violet, which is how it ended up here. In the middle of this bunch, Baby Bellini looks less red. (See more Baby Bellini below.)

16 through 20 - blurry, but I figured that's better than nothing.
This bunch, while still noticeably having purple tendencies, is starting to look very pinkish.
The next wheel continues that - starting with more of these kind of very red-tinged red-violets and going more and more into fuchsias.

I am wearing Baby Bellini right now, as it happens, over Ulta Celebutante, which I believe was on the last wheel. (I took this under those same fluorescent lights that I am always complaining blue-shifts things, and so this is more neutral-looking than it actually is - Baby Bellini does have a definite R-V flash to it.)

Here's all my purples: http://deliciouscolor.blogspot.com/2013/07/awash-in-purple.html
Red-violet tag: http://deliciouscolor.blogspot.com/search/label/red-violet
(I don't think I have much else in the way of links specifically for red-violet, although if I think of anything I will add it later!)


No comments:

Post a Comment