Monday, September 2, 2013

Shades of rose

Let's start off with a picture, which I will explain later on:

Let's see, I haven't posted in enough days that I'm having trouble remembering what I've had on since I last mentioned it. I think that after Ali, I looked around at the other pinks I had that looked neon-ish, and settled on a Revlon I hadn't worn in several years, Strawberry Electric. It looked very "electric pink" in the bottle, if not quite a full-on neon. I didn't get around to taking a picture, but here's somebody else's picture that comes pretty close to what mine looked like: The Blahg.

Aside: I nosed around on Revlon's website, and I don't think they have this color (Strawberry Electric) listed any more, although I'm pretty sure it was available not too too long ago. They seem to be changing a lot of colors to one-word names like Scandalous - which I showed here not long ago - and Delicious. I do notice that they still have Cherries in the Snow, though. It's supposed to one of their oldest colors, I read somewhere, going back to the early years of Revlon in the 1930s. This piece talks about Revlon lipsticks, but it includes a picture of an old ad for Cherries in the Snow. I'm pretty sure I have owned Cherries in the Snow somewhere along the line, but I would like to try it again sometime. Although I am totally awash in nice reds these days.

Anyway, I don't think Strawberry Electric is anything like that old but I'm pretty sure it's one that's been around a while. And it's, well, kind of blah, really. I mean, it's okay, but it's just a frosty medium pink, not really what I would call "electric" at all.

So, as I do, I put a coat of Chloe on top of it. Then I decided that the problem was that rosy-pink - which there is nothing wrong with, per se, but which I am just not in the mood for lately - and Chloe was not going to change it enough to make me happy. So I put a coat of Reva on top of it instead. Problem solved (by making it more or less a whole other color, but oh well.)

What I didn't do was put top coat on top of Reva, so that didn't actually last very long. I took that off, and then I got immersed in nail wheels (much more on that to come) and completely failed to do anything about my actual nails for a whole day. I did think to take a picture of my bare nails, though - imperfect cleanup and all:
I will add that I did go back and clean them up better after this - there's a lot of pink left down in the edges, here, if you look closely. If you did look closely, you also saw that something a couple of weeks ago stained my nails quite a bit, although I've certainly had much worse staining than this! If I think of it, I'm going to look back and try to figure out what it was. I know it was before last weekend, so it wasn't Knees Up.

I am starting to get kind of fond of this shorter nail length. I have so much trouble with peelies that it makes life easier to keep them pretty short, anyway. I'm never consistent about it so I'm sure I will let them grow out at least a little, but I may start thinking of this sort of length as the default.

Anyway, I eventually put on Morning, Moneypenny, which was the picture at the beginning. I got much better results than the last magnetic I tried, but still iffy since it's really hard to tell what the pattern is. Is That Silva? is still the only magnetic that I'm prepared to call an unqualified success. (I still have one more that I haven't tried, though - the Finger Paints that Karen sent me. It seemed kind of like a fall color, so I was saving it for later.) Anyway, the color of Morning, Moneypenny is quite nice. It looks like a dark-pink shimmer in the bottle, but the magnet brings out even darker tones, so that it barely looks like a pink at all, in the end.

And I have been playing with nail wheels since they came in the mail the other day, and here is a preview (I wouldn't recommend trying to read my writing, it's a mess):
The translating of that will probably figure largely in the next entry. (I did green first, on the right, and then the blue-green one on the left. And I've pulled out all my metallics to do next.)

No comments:

Post a Comment