Thursday, September 12, 2013

Blue-green nail wheel


Here's the original blue-green nail wheel, which had two empty spaces. However, I have already filled both of those up and you'll see them further down.
  1. Racy Green (3 coats)
  2. Zuza (alone on tip, over Racy Green on lower nail)
  3. Henley Regatta
  4. Mermaid's Tale (3 coats)
  5. Viridian (1 coat)
  6. Deeper Dive (2 coats)
  7. Thames (3 coats)
  8. Glee over Teal of Fortune
  9. Glee (1 coat)
  10. Feifei (2 coats)
  11. Feifei over Teal of Fortune
  12. Sweet Peacock
  13. Teal of Fortune
  14. Party by the Pool (4 coats)
  15. Evening Emerald (3 coats)
  16. Black & Blue (2 coats)
  17. East Village (3 coats)
  18. Zuza (alone on tip, over East Village on lower nail)
  19. Maisie (alone on tip, over East Village on lower nail)
  20. Nail Junkie (alone on tip, over East Village on lower nail)
I did a version of 19-20 yesterday - it started out to be 19, actually, with East Village and then Maisie, but I ended up putting a light coat of Nail Junkie on top of that, and it came out really pretty. The problem with using East Village as a base is that it's really sheer, and it takes 3 coats of it to get to anything approaching opaque - really 4 would be more like it, but I stopped at 3.

Here's the filled-up nail wheel, with the two adds (Mermaid's Tale and Viridian, which for some reason are #4 and 5):
They call Viridian an emerald, but it went very comfortably into the blue-green wheel, which to my mind means it's not a true emerald. Mermaid's Tale should and does go here, although its base color is darker than I expected - it looks teal to me. I'll probably put something like Teal of Fortune under it when I wear it, but I think you could make it opaque on its own if you were patient enough.

By the way, I apologize for how hard it is to read the numbers on the wheel. I'm working on that. I think the next one is much better. I decided to try to see how a Pigma Micron pen worked, and the answer was "not as well as a Sharpie." The Pigma pen smeared really badly.

There were a lot of things here that needed undercoats, and I leaned heavily toward picking things that were cheap and easily replaced (in case I run through it all) for that duty - which is why you'll see Hard as Nails Jet Black a lot on these wheels, and here it tended to be Teal of Fortune and East Village and in one case Racy Green. (I liked Racy Green under Zuza, I need to remember that one.)

Here's 1-3:

(Remember that 4 and 5 were already covered above)
6-9 (8 is Teal of Fortune under Glee; TofF appears alone further along the wheel)

10-14, except they are somewhat out of order - L-R & top to bottom, this is 13, 14, 12, & 10:
(Note that Party by the Pool, #14, is a jelly, which is why it took so many coats to get opaque. It's really pretty, though - it has shimmer in it which may be hard to see here. Also, if I had this to do over, I would put Feifei in with the blues. I don't know what made me think I was seeing green in there.)

I usually don't use the pictures with flash, but this one is actually in order and everything, so 15-20:

I was going by how the polish looked in the bottle when I sorted things, but I was a bit surprised that I got this accurate with Black and Blue - with that name you would think it was a blackened straight-out blue rather than a blackened blue-green. But apparently it's more the latter. (Although I guess if you think of a bruise, as the name does imply, then it's maybe pretty accurate, if somewhat distasteful!)

ADDED: one additional comment: I talked up towards the top about Viridian not being a true emerald, but there are two other colors here that are allegedly emerald and aren't: Evening Emerald, the Pixi, just above - although the "evening" part does at least imply that it's a darkened emerald - and also Thames. Thames is maybe a bit closer but still no cigar, as far as I'm concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment