Friday, November 13, 2015

Square Hue 2000s

I showed pictures of the Square Hue 1990s collection a while back. The three polishes representing the 1990s were:
  • Vogue, for 1990, a shimmery dark red
  • Desert Storm, for 1991, a sand color
  • Y2K, for 1999, a shimmery dark charcoal
Sometimes it's hard to find good swatches for Square Hue polishes, but Of Lace & Lacquers has full pictures of this collection.

Then I just got the next collection, for the 2000s, and those are all gray/silver, interestingly.
They are:
  • Never Forget, for 2001, a really beautiful sort of toned-down, maybe slightly antiqued silver metallic
  • Idol, for 2002, a bright silver microglitter with a tinsel-like finish (This is, I'm assuming, a reference to American Idol, which started in 2002.)
  • Hurricane, for 2005 - they call it a "platinum metallic" but to me it's sort of a murky darker gray metallic. It's an interesting color.
The two non-tinsel polishes on the ends look awfully alike in this picture, but they are really not. They're both gray-toned metallics, yes, but Hurricane is quite a lot darker. (I do have to admit, though, that I'm starting to feel a bit like Square Hue is obsessed with gray. But that's probably because I got the November box last year too. Also because it's totally trendy.)

You have to give Square Hue credit for this: themed polishes are a dime a dozen but I don't know another company that's tried to do much with historical events. It's a touchy subject, on two of these three, but Never Forget (the polish) is really beautiful, in particular. And I think with Hurricane they were going for the color of storm clouds, maybe? which, y'know, as somebody who lives in hurricane country, I can appreciate. (It might look really good layered with Idol, actually.)

And I find Idol slightly hilarious - in a good way, because I'm a long-time Idol-watcher. Has anybody ever done an Idol polish before? If so I don't remember seeing it. American Idol's real heyday was waning before the indie polish world got rolling with all its zillion fandoms, so who knows, maybe not. The only thing I can think of that's an intersection at all between nail polish and Idol is that Carrie Underwood, who of course is an Idol alum, had her own polish collection from NOPI - but I don't think any of those specifically referred to that, that I recall.

Anyway, whatever I think about the excess of gray, these are really beautiful and cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment