Monday, May 13, 2013

Vinyl & links & what the heck is "indie" anyway?

Last night I tried out one of those minis from my stash that I'm not sure I've ever worn - Hard Candy Vinyl. This is the one that I said in my stash post that I thought was actually a dark purple, and I guess it is, but it reads pretty close to black. I didn't really think that was very interesting, once it dried, so I started layering my old favorite Chloe over it. I've worn Chloe a ton, but always over something pink or red, and I know it has other colors in it, so I wanted to see if it would look different over another color. And boy, did it - it looks completely different. It doesn't look the least bit pink - it looks coppery in some lights and green in others. It's so coppery that if you showed me a picture of it in coppery mode I might have guessed that it was Pumpkin Spice, or something like that. (I love Pumpkin Spice and I love copper, in general, so I don't think that's a bad result!)
(Later addition: picture, at bottom of entry)

And that's really all I have to say about my own nails right now, so here's the "assorted other goodies" part of the title - links, etc:

I got to Scrangie when I googled Pumpkin Spice, and I haven't been checking her blog regularly lately (despite the fact that there's a link in my sidebar), but I see that she's posting again, and there were some things there that interested me. First of all, there's a brand called Pretty Serious that I've never heard of but which has some nice colors. (I especially love Emma Louise. Wow. Luckily for my budget, it's sold out.)

(Another brand that everybody suddenly seems to be talking about lately is LACC. There are so many brands now that it takes a while for them to register on my brain.)

While it's awfully early to be thinking about fall unless you're a retailer, here is OPI's fall line. Some really pretty colors, although I can't say that anything really completely blows me away.

Globe and Nail swatched the "Four Horseman" collection - I really like a couple of those, especially that pale green one. I also really like her striped jelly nail art.

An Etsy indie I'd never seen before: I Love NP

I'm trying to decide if I agree with this definition of indie nail polish which excludes independent companies who sell polishes made in a lab (Cult Nails, etc.). On the one hand, in my mind "independent" = "indie" - isn't that where the word comes from? So it seems a bit odd to say in one breath that they're independent, but then to exclude them. But on the other hand, when it comes to what most people mean when they say "indie," then well, yes, the definition that limits it to hand-made items is probably closer.

She also links to a newspaper article about indie brands: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/03/20/2766378/nail-polish-fans-start-making.html

I am not actually a big indie-brand consumer - in fact, my recent Chirality purchase was my first one ever - but I am really interested in it as a phenomenon, if nothing else. One reason for my long abstention: I am not really a fan of big glitters and that's what most indie polishes seem to be. So it's no coincidence that I held back until I found those Chirality holos. (To clarify: I don't dislike glitters, by any means! and I love the colors in indie polishes and I usually think big glitters are great in the pictures - I just don't like to wear them. Just one of my many quirks.)

(Also, I should probably point out that when I said I'm "not a big indie-brand consumer" - well, that's really only true when it comes to nail polish. At least, I have been buying this and that from Etsy more or less since it existed, and from various other indie-type online stores since before anybody started calling them by that name. So it's not that I have any objection whatsoever to the ethos of the thing. In fact, it warms my little middle-aged wanna-be-hippie-chick heart.)


Here's Chloe over Vinyl, looking awfully golden-brown in the sunlight in my car:
I'll have to remember to use this combination again in the fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment