Tuesday, July 16, 2013

In which I am ever-so-slightly obsessive

(Monday)
I am so ridiculously picky about polishes sometimes - as I noted last time, I'm wearing Crushed Candy, which is somewhere between purple and pink, and glittery, and I like the color but the glitter part is bugging me a bit. I've noticed that anything pink AND glittery tends to elicit this reaction in me in particular. It's pretty but sort of annoying. I may be wearing something else soon just because of this. If I'm not enjoying it, why not start over? It's not as if I don't have several dozen other things on hand to try! I haven't worn anything fuchsia lately, maybe I should try a fuchsia. And maybe put Chloe or e.l.f. Fairy Dust on top of it. That would be a good summer mani.

I suspect Crushed Candy is is one of those colors that I will like better in the winter. I always seem to enjoy the really glittery glitters when the weather is gloomy. It'd be a great Valentine's color, for that matter! I think all of the Julie G Gumdrops in cool colors are like this - they have small hexes in them that are the same color as the matte part. The overall effect is very glittery, although I wonder if putting topcoat on it made it more so. I un-matte-d the matte part, so to speak, when I put topcoat on (and multiple coats of top coat, at that). I'm hoping that with other colors I will react differently to this combination, anyway.


(very late on Monday)
I did go with fuchsia and I have so many of them that I hummed and hawwed (is that how you spell that?) around with which one to use. I finally went with Zoya Alegra, which is so shiny and foil-y (I'm not at all sure that's a word, but when has that ever bothered me?**) that it didn't need any flakies to finish it off.

(**Completely off-topic: now I'm sitting here thinking, is there an adjective for "foil-like"? I guess foil-like itself would be the most obvious one, but that's kind of boring. I think I watched so much Buffy the Vampire Slayer that the Buffy solution to vocabulary has become second nature: if you don't like the commonly-used suffixes for a word, make up your own. I still say things like "here's some linkage" to mean "here's a bunch of links" - I think that's a very Buffy word usage, although I don't think that's a word that ever actually got used on that show.)

Note: Alegra is not completely opaque right off the bat, even though Zoya calls it a 5 on their 1-5 scale. It took 2 coats to look at all right, and 3 made it look even better. I did something I never, ever do, and put it on without basecoat. My brain was somewhere else, I guess, and by the time I started paying attention to what I was doing half my hand was done and I just went with it. So who knows how it will wear. I did try out the Seche Vite on top, so maybe that will compensate a little!


2 comments:

  1. Do you have a matte topcoat? That might help mute the glitter (those chunkier colors in the Julie G gumdrops are not very matte on their own, I don't think).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do - I didn't think of trying that. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete