Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Sooki & Fairy Dust, & a red I wasn't supposed to buy

I was intending to wear fuchsia this week, but when it came down to it, I found myself completely unable to settle on anything, and I ended up with red instead - Zoya Sooki, with Fairy Dust, which is a flakie, on top of it. (I know there are at least two more Fairy Dusts from other brands. This is the e.l.f. one.) It actually looks really good and it's wearing well, but I had a hell of a time getting it on right. For some reason the Fairy Dust did not want to dry - I don't know if something in its formula wasn't playing nice with Sooki, or what, but I redid several nails before arriving at something that was wearable. Sooki is cherry-red and the Fairy Dust seems to give it sort of a gilded, slightly gold-shifted finish that's quite nice. I don't know if this flakie is a little gold-shifted itself - it doesn't look like it in the bottle, if so - or of it's picking something up from the color underneath. But I like it.

The picture picked the gold up really clearly where the sun was hitting it:

I have to 'fess up - I bought something. It was a L'Oreal jelly, and I would have specifically have made an exception for those if I had had any idea I would find them. I had only seen them once, and that was at the Rite-Aid in Ohio, and they were kind of expensive and I passed them up and have been sorry ever since, because I have not seen them anywhere else. And then they appeared at the grocery store yesterday. I restrained myself enough to only get one, the red one (I think it's Jolly Lolly) but since I have gone on and on about my no-buy status, I feel like I have to confess. Since it's still July, I'm still not going to make it count as the one thing I said I was allowed to buy in August, but I think I'm going to try to restrain myself from buying anything at all nail-related for the first half of August, because going anywhere near nail polish is obviously too much for me. (I only found the jellies because I went back there to get acetone.) If I behave, then I can still buy that one thing that I promised myself later in the month.

(I know this all sounds terribly silly but I know myself and I'm a chronic impulse buyer. I have to be realistic about this or I'll just be buying everything in sight again.)

I went nosing around on Sephora's website and looked at their new store-brand stuff:
Sephora "Color Hit" polishes - some really pretty colors here!
Also, Sephora X glitters and Sephora X top coats.
And a whole gel system, too.
(I haven't been in Sephora in ages. I'm a little worried about what may happen when I finally step foot in there.)

Giveaway spotted:
Imperfectly Painted has a giveaway of a whole set of Cult Nails polishes, open until August 10th. I decided not to enter because those colors all look too warm to be flattering on me, but they're really pretty just the same. Go enter!

No comments:

Post a Comment