Saturday, May 16, 2015

Stash: darker shimmers

Not all of these are especially dark, really, but a lot of them are and I couldn't really see too much else of a theme here. (It's been so long since I sorted these out that I don't really remember what my criteria was at the time.)
top row:

  • Viridian (Illamasqua) - depending on who you ask, this is either an emerald or a teal - or somewhere in between, which is probably more the truth of the thing. It has definite blue undertones, but it does read as emerald in some lights.
  • The Darkest Emerald Luxe (Rococo) - this bottle looks like it badly needs shaking, in the picture above, so you might refer to Karen's picture instead. This is sort-of-similar to Viridian, above, but even darker and not quite as shimmery. (I think I wrote a whole entry once about polishes that call themselves "emerald" but aren't, really. Both of these were featured in that entry, as I recall.)
  • Rags To Riches (Rimmel Lasting Finish Pro) - green with a heavy silver shimmer, as I see it - almost a metallic. I can't think of anything else that's like it. Prone to brushstroke problems, unsurprisingly.
  • Agro (China Glaze) - slightly yellowed green with a lot of shimmer amounting to metallic. This is the only yellow-green I can think of that's reasonably flattering on me. The yellow's pretty subtle; I imagine that's why. This was the District 11 polish in ChG's original Hunger Games/Capitol Colors set.
second row:
  • Teal The Cows Come Home (LynB) - a sort of a light teal shimmer - to the point that it might be better to call it aqua instead. This was a one-batch LE, I believe. (another link)
  • Pitter Patter (Butter London) - a very dark purple shimmer. I think this one was also a genuine LE, for the birth of Prince George back a couple of years ago. (I wondered if they would resurrect it for his new sister, but I looked a couple of days ago and it hadn't reappeared, so I guess not!) (Added: a new link to a swatch, because my old one was not there any more)
  • Vice (Urban Decay) - a dark red-violet with heavy shimmer (mani from 2014)
  • Victorian End (Square Hue) - another dark purple with heavy shimmer, although none of these three manage to be quite alike. This one is maybe a little lighter than the two above.
third row:
  • Fig (Sinful) - I think Fig tends to look more pink in the bottle than it actually is. It's red-violet, definitely.
  • Lilith (Zoya) - fuchsia with very noticeable blue flash. It's awesome.
  • Buffy The Violet Slayer (Wet n Wild FastDry) - some of the pictures of this one look red-violet, and others look blue. It's definitely got some blue flash in it.
  • Amethyst (Colorstay Longwear) - medium purple shimmer, more or less neutral, I think. That doesn't sound as interesting as this color really is. Let's put it this way: I like it enough that I bought a backup when they were closing out that version of Colorstay. There are not many colors I own back-ups of, but this is one of them.
  • (above) I Knead Sour-Dough (OPI) - frosty marsala-red shimmer, maybe a bit plum-leaning, but subtly so. (more swatches)
  • (below) Forbidden Fudge (SH Nailgrowth Miracle) - a very neutral dark brown (which is why I like it) which shimmers in a warm gold/bronze sort of way. (Also, I love this blogger's comments about the name.)
bottom row:
  • Kierra (Zoya) - sits interestingly somewhere between red and purple. Sort of a wine-color, but on the purple side of that, if you see what I mean. I haven't worn this lately, but when I first had it I wore it a ton. Great fall color.
  • Peru-B-Ruby (OPI) Another of my old favorites - this is another one I had a backup bottle of. A bright-but-cool fuchsia with a lot of tonal shimmer. Apparently a dupe for Chanel Tentation.
  • It's Genius (Essie) - grape purple with copper shimmer, but that sounds more interesting than this color really looks. I usually refer to it as raisin-colored. I agree with all the MUA commenters who said it's a shame it doesn't look more like it does in the bottle (but I wear it occasionally for all that).
  • Burgandy Scales (Funky Fingers) - I'm pretty sure that's meant to be "burgundy" but that other spelling is what my bottle says. (I tried fairly valiantly to sit on any comments about spell-check, but obviously I didn't entirely succeed.) This is not a bad polish, as crackles go. I like it over the bright red at the link. It does read as a pretty true burgundy, I think.

(I still have these polishes out; if the sun ever comes out again - which at this point seems unlikely because it's been raining for days and days - I'll try to do some wheel swatches of some of these purples and burgundies.)

No comments:

Post a Comment