Sunday, May 31, 2015

Stash: shimmers & duos (aka the last big stash post)

Here's the last big installment of shimmers, as well as some duochromes - and this is the last full installment of this stash run-through. Now I'm trying to figure out what I missed. (Several of my coppery polishes seem to be MIA, which leads me to think they're all together somewhere.) But meanwhile, here are the things from the bottom of the bin - which is not to say they're my least-favorites, by any means. There are some things here that I really like a lot.
top row:

  • Slightly Unstable (Paint Box Polish) - the name of this polish refers to Bellatrix Lestrange, and it's from a Women of Harry Potter collection. (To call Bellatrix "slightly unstable" is seriously understating the case, but maybe that's the idea.) Paint Box calls this polish black with a green shift, and I guess they should know, but it reads as a blackened green, with shifty tendencies and scattered holo bits.
  • Rory (Zoya) - pink with an orchid or mauve tint, and an extremely heavy shimmer, almost a foil. It's got a certain similarity to last year's "liquid metal" finishes, to my mind. It's pretty but a little pale for my taste.
  • Peonies Gone Wild (Bonita Salon) - this is a bit like a darker version of Rory, really - very shimmery, darker pink with hints of violet.
  • Ruby Without A Cause (Sephora By OPI) - a shimmery wine that's supposed to have a duochrome to it, but it never seems to show up on the nail. Rather frustrating.
  • Hipnotic (Finger Paints Magnetic) - a pinky-wine shimmer. I did get this one to work, for the most part, which puts it ahead of most of the magnetics I've tried!
middle row:
  • Curse Your Sudden But Inevitable Betrayal (Dollish Ultimate Fandom collection) - My favorite line from Firefly becomes a marsala-ish red-brown shimmer with some green duochrome shift, here. (The color of a dinosaur, I guess?)
  • Stone Cold Karma Luxe (Rococo) - this is one of those sort of mushroom-colored nudes, it looks like a plain old tan color but it has hints of mauve that show up from time to time. And of course, a lot of shimmer.
  • (upside down) Razzmatazz (Orly mini) - I'm not sure what I was looking at when I called this a shimmer. It looks to me now like more of a microglitter. It's another pinky-red and the shimmer is more or less tonal.
  • Vaclavske Namesti (SquareHue 11.14, the Prague collection) - SquareHue does some beautiful shimmers; this one is purple with brown leanings.
  • First Flight (SquareHue 01.15, the 1900 collection) - The good people of SquareHue have this labeled as a "high-gloss creme" which is odd because it's full of shimmer. I don't know what somebody was thinking. I thought this was too light and would look awful on me, but it turned out I really loved it. It's a very cool light gray, almost pearly-looking.
  • As Long As You Love Me (essence Beauty Beats) - Is it necessary to say I'm far too old for the whole Justin Bieber thing? This had a picture of Bieber on the display but I wasn't paying any attention to that when I bought it. And the name didn't ring any bells for me (although I checked YouTube earlier and I did actually recognize the song). As for the polish itself, it's a medium-gray shimmer fairly similar to the one above, except maybe slightly darker.
sideways:
  • Azure (SH LustreShine) - blue with a purple shift, I'd call this. It looks like it's got both shimmer and microglitter in it when I look close. A beautiful color. (I finally bought this when I found it on clearance; I never would buy them before that because I thought they were overpriced. I usually won't pay $9 for Essie or OPI, much less for Sally Hansen. Yeah, I know, I'm cheap.)
bottom row:
  • Nightlife (L'Oreal Jet-Set, and the review is from Epinions in 2001, which amuses me no end) - a really dark purple/blurple, it's so dark it's hard to tell which it really is. I think it has at least some purple in it, though.
  • (upside-down) Grape Going (SH Insta-Dri) - this has lost its label, or maybe it never had one, but I'm pretty sure this is the correct name. It's purple with blue and pink multichrome,
  • Ultra Violet (Milani Color Statement) - purple that leans to the red-violet side, with pinkish shimmer
  • (upside-down) Taffeta (SH Satin Glam) - a red-violet shimmer with a satin (semi-matte) finish. I have never tried this because I got a bad bottle with no brush (and didn't notice until far too late to return it) but I can't bring myself to throw it away, either. One of these days I'll get around to trying it, even if I have to pour it out of the bottle to do it.
  • Royal Highness (Bonita Salon) - Seems to have more or less the same formula as the other Bonita above, very heavy on the shimmer, but this one is sort of a medium orchid.

No comments:

Post a Comment