Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Orchid displays and this week's manis

(Monday)
When last heard from, I was complaining about Essie magnetics that don't work properly. And even after I got all that settled, I kept thinking my nails still looked sort of boring - I pretty much do this whenever I wear a creme nowadays - so I went looking for my bottle of Lizard Belly, because it occurred to me that it might look good over Crocadilly. And I didn't find it. I don't really like it when I mislay expensive bottles of nail polish, but on the other hand, it's got to be around here somewhere, and during the search I found Chirality Kale, which is another green holo and is actually probably closer to the same base color as Crocadilly, so win. (Added later: and they did end up matching quite well. Lizard Belly is considerably darker, so I doubt that it would have matched near so well.)

Random linkage:
Somebody on Twitter linked to this makeup.com piece about what to do with broken makeup, including nail polish - and lipstick, which is probably my most-broken type of makeup. (I have also managed to break up many powder compacts over the years.)


(Tuesday)
Today's mani is Colorstay Amethyst, and then tonight I put Daul over it because it already had tipwear. I patched the Colorstay up before I added Daul and just did one thin-ish coat (plus Seche Vite), and it looks lovely. I haven't worn Daul in ages; I need to remember to wear it more! (I just tried taking a picture under that same light that I have been saying I thought blue-shifted everything, and sure enough, it came out way bluer than it actually looks - so I'm not even going to post it this time. It doesn't even look like Daul!)

However, I do have some display pictures to post, which I keep forgetting about. These first few were taken a month or so ago. This was an Orchid display which I found on an endcap (next to the card aisle, as you can see):
These displays do seem to have non-core colors - more on that below, but this one had some names like "Cobra Bite" and the like that I don't remember seeing before. (A typical Orchid name is more like "OK, 1 More Margarita" but some of them are shorter and less comical than that.)

And then the Nicka K brand which I had previously only seen at the largest H-E-B store in the area turned up at my store that same day. (I even took a picture of the non-nail display, something I hardly ever bother to do.)
 

Then last week a football-themed Orchid display turned up:

I turned some of the bottles around to see what they were named:
I'm not sure how well you can read this without clicking over to the larger picture, but they are Grass Stains, I Bleed Maroon, Orange You Glad You're From Texas? and Coin Toss. The maroon and the orange were the only ones tied to a particular school (A&M and Texas, respectively - this is a thing that most Texans know without thinking about it twice, but the rest of the world, probably not so much). The others were generic football-themed names similar to Grass Stains and Coin Toss, although I've forgotten now exactly what they were. But I'm pretty sure that most of those aren't core. (Orange You Glad You're From Texas? might be, though, and maybe the maroon, too.)

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I don't think I've ever seen a Nicka K display. You're killin' me with the Orchids--I want to reach through the monitor and grab some of those colors (like that dark green in the football one).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I tried googling for Nicka K swatches, and didn't find much, so I figured that meant they weren't all that widely available. The first set of colors I saw didn't grab me, but this one was better, so I'm sure I'll end up grabbing some sooner or later.

      Delete