Saturday, December 7, 2013

Patricia and Thames

This is what I'm currently wearing - Nostalgic "Patricia" over Butter London "Thames":
Ignore the lobster-hands; I don't know why they always look that way in this light. I don't try to color-correct my pictures because that seems to me to be a bit contrary to the idea of showing what nail polish actually looks like! (But that's probably just ME being contrary, as usual.) Anyway, Thames is a lovely emerald-ish green with maybe a hint of blue - and hmm, I just looked it up on BL's website and they call it blue-green, but anyway. That seems to be sort of usual - the line between darker greens and blue-greens seems to be pretty fluid. Which makes a certain sense when you think about it, since a lot of colors that we think of as green in nature, like the color of a spruce tree, have a definite blue tinge to them.

And it is a really pretty color, with a sort of a foil-ish finish to it - but still, you know me, I couldn't let well enough alone, so I put Patricia over it. Patricia is a packed green glitter, as you can tell from the picture, but what you can't really tell is that it also has purple bits in it. It's terribly pretty. (Here is the blurry picture of Patricia I took a while back, which clearly shows the purple in the glitter!) This started out as an all-BL mani - Nail Foundation, 3 coats of Thames (it's a bit sheer to start out with) and Hardwear. Then I added 2 coats of Patricia and another coat of Hardwear, making a whopping 8 coats total. It made it through a hairwashing just fine - that's usually my acid-test because I have oily hair, even now that I'm over 50, and so I tend to use my nails on my scalp more than I should.

One note on my last manicure, and that's that I was wondering about how Jewel Tone would come off, but it did alright. I didn't have to trot out the aluminum foil to get it off, at least!

3 comments:

  1. Looks great! As for the names of nail varnish colours I knew they can be a bit fanciful but I am so surprised to hear a colour described as Thames! The Thames is a river that runs through London and after some huge efforts by the water authorities over the last decades it has been cleaned up significantly and is apparently very clean indeed. I love the Thames very much for its power and magnificence as it is a tidal river. However, I do not recall its colour ever being attractive or desirable! LOL I hope you do not mind my soap box moment. Enjoy your nails :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't mind a bit - I hadn't really thought about it too much, but the Thames IS so famously dirty that even here in Texas we've heard about it. (That is rather like naming a color after the beaches here in Galveston, which are distinctly mud-colored!)

      Delete
    2. I just looked at the link to Thames, and they say this about it: "Much like a dip in the Thames; it's not a lacquer for the faint hearted, but you will be remembered for it."

      Delete