Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Color of the Day

If you haven't already seen these "Color of the Day" things that have been floating around on Tumblr, look here. There's several more of them, and they're pretty cool.

I have always been fascinated with color, since I was a kid - and I was a kid in the 60s/early 70s, so the color palettes available during most of my childhood were pretty limited. I never understood that. Nature has a variety of colors, so why couldn't you buy those? (Questions of chemistry and production costs and other practical considerations did not mean much to me when I was 8.)

I did most of my growing up in a house built in 1968, with carpet & appliances entirely in 1968's hot color, avocado green. I was 35 or so before I started liking green again. Likewise, it took me years to recover from the 1970s onslaught of warm colors. If you weren't there to remember it, everything was almond (aka beige), pumpkin orange, harvest gold, and brown. At least that's how I remember it. I do remember having some clothes that were other colors so it can't have been entirely true, but it seemed that way to me.


My color of the day today has been bright rose pink - Zoya Lara, to be exact. It looked really pretty but the peelies got it - the whole tip of my right index finger in particular was a peeled mess - so it's gone now. I am contemplating whether OPI Is That Silva? is an inappropriate color to wear to pre-funeral activities, which is where I'm going to be tomorrow. (By that I mean not a wake but a "viewing" - which is a custom I abhor. But that's another subject completely and this is not the place to go into that!) Actually silver-gray seemed more mourning-appropriate than bright pink, really, until I noticed how very sparkly this particular silver was (not to mention the magnetic stripes that are going to be involved). I think I'm going to try it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment