Saturday, June 1, 2013

To buy or not to buy

Today's nails: Pink Sizzle, the L.A. Colors one I bought last week. It's a very dark, slightly-frosty rose pink. I really like it.

I actually tried putting the crackle/shredded polish on my thumbnail on top of this, just to see what happened, but they're too close to the same color and if it cracked you couldn't even really see it. So I finally just put another coat of Pink Sizzle on top of that. I'll have to try the crackle again on top of black or something where I can see it.


I was supposed to be in a "no-buy" period, which lasted for a while, but which I've obviously been caving in on lately with the Llarowe purchases and such. So then I told myself that I could buy single polishes of brands I don't already have - this occurred to me after I saw the L.A. Colors at the store the other day and realized I had never tried that brand at all. I was really thinking of low-priced and maybe mid-priced brands when I said it. But I might've walked myself into a corner a bit with that. Assuming my goal is to not buy a lot of nail polishes, well, that may not be so great because there are a LOT of brands, let's face it. And I was thinking from the beginning that sub-brands counted as different brands, too, so that left it open for, for example, the "In a New York Minute" brand from NYC - I had tried the base brand of NYC but not that one. And of course I've owned Maybelline in the old days but not the new Color Show stuff. Most of the mid-priced "salon" brands I've already tried a good bit - Essie, OPI, Orly, Zoya - but there's at least one big exception there, and that's China Glaze. I have never owned a single one. I'm gonna have to pick out one really great color and try out China Glaze. As far as the high-priced brands, well, I do have a couple - a Butter London, a couple of RBLs - but this absolutely does not mean I can buy a Chanel, tempting as it is sometimes!

(This is what inevitably happens with things like no-buy periods - I behave myself for a while and then I go on a big binge. I am very predictable that way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment