Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Is That Silva?

I remember reading about the OPI Skyfall polishes when they came out, but somehow I completely missed the fact that there were magnetics along with everything else. Or maybe it's more that I just ignored them. I haven't been that hot to try magnetics, and then I tried the Essie one (mostly because I liked the fishnet pattern) and it didn't work well at all. But the OPI one with the little pincher-shaped tool did a much better job of controlling how close your nail got to the magnet. I found it did the best when you laid it down on the table and stuck your finger inside and let it sit there a minute like you would with something like a UV light. Except for this it just takes a few seconds. As shown here, the magnet that comes with Is That Silva? is diagonal stripes. As PolishAholic notes in her entry, the wider part of the stripe comes out quite transparent - I did put a thin coat on and let it dry first before I did the thick layer that I put under the magnet, but in any case I don't object to visible nail line as strongly as a lot of people seem to, so it probably wouldn't have bothered me anyway. (I may get a picture of my own eventually, but not tonight. It's been a long, long day.)

Other notes:
  • The glitter is really pretty in the sunlight but not overly flashy. Really the total effect is elegant and fairly subtle, considering that there's glitter and stripes involved!
  • I'm not sure what the actual retail price is meant to be for these - PolishAholic, as linked above, thinks it's supposed to be $17.50, which is fairly outrageous. I couldn't find them at all on OPI's website - does that mean they're discontinued? - even though the regular Skyfall colors were still there. I did poke around on eBay and Amazon and found prices to be kind of all over the place, but in general anywhere from $9-18. If it's discontinued, it hasn't gotten all that hard to find yet, I'm guessing! But in any case, apparently I got a bargain, because I found it at my grocery store, stuck up on a top shelf, for $7.99. If they still have any left when I finally get back home, I'm totally buying another color.


No comments:

Post a Comment