Friday, March 21, 2014

Cuticle balms

I now own 3 different cuticle balms that I didn't own a month ago. In the order I bought them, they are:
They all come in tins or something similar (the SH one is plastic instead of metal, with a screw-off lid), but they are all different sizes. G&G is 0.5 ounce, Badger is the biggest at 0.75 ounce, and the SH is the smallest at 0.28 ounce. It was the middle ground in terms of price, but of course the small amount of product makes it the most expensive on a per-ounce basis. It has that added function of being a Cuticle Eraser, though, so presumably it has a more complex formula. Badger is the cheapest overall, and since it's also the largest that makes it by far the cheapest per ounce. G&G was the most expensive, and it comes in a much smaller-looking tin, but that tin is really packed, so it's a better bargain than you might think. Definitely if I wanted to carry a tin of this in my purse, the G&G balm would be the one I would pick for that, all else being equal.

The scents also vary. The SH balm really has no discernible scent (or not that my perpetually stopped-up nose could tell, anyway, but it's allergy season so I probably have even less of a sense of smell than usual!). G&G lets you choose from several scents - mine is Aloe & Green Tea, a nice green scent, but very subtle. You can get it unscented, as well. The Badger balm also has a green scent, but it's considerably stronger. I noticed Lemongrass and Verbena among the ingredients, and that's more or less what it smells like.

They all seem to work fine. They all moisturize well, and clearly the Sally Hansen one does perform its extra function and exfoliate dead skin around your cuticles. The Badger balm is somewhat greasier. The Glisten & Glow one is lighter, to the point that you have to work a little harder to get enough on your skin for it to work properly. And the SH one is probably somewhere in between the other two in terms of texture.

I only have new pictures of two of these; I was taking pictures of my latest round of purchases, and I didn't have the G&G tin handy to take a picture of. See here for a picture of it.

These two appear to be similar sizes, don't they? but appearances can be deceiving.
These packages are both right around 2" in diameter. The G&G tin is about 1.5". (In metric that would be a little over 5cm, for the two above, and a little less than 4cm for the other one.)

Here are the insides (the Sally Hansen, as is probably obvious, is now on the right, and Badger on the left):
I think I've said before, here, that I really never paid any attention to my cuticles until recently - I didn't feel like I needed to - but I've been using one or another of these regularly for several weeks now, and I do think they look noticeably better. (And I used the SH balm on my poor neglected toes, because I thought they could use the exfoliating, and boy, do they look better.)

As far as one brand vs. the other, well, I'm not sorry I bought any of them - I see them all as having somewhat different functions. The Badger will go by my bed and be more like a night cream. G&G is the day cream of the bunch. And the SH is more of a specialized product that I'll use maybe every few days. It says you can use it daily but I can't really see wanting to do that, plus this way it'll last much longer. (If they  really want me to use it more often, they're going to have to reduce the price!)

No comments:

Post a Comment