Thursday, August 31, 2017

Rain, rain, go away

A little less than a week ago I said this:
Harvey is not supposed to hit us head-on, so we'll be fine, I'm sure. We're mostly just likely to get rained on a lot.
And well, that's true, for my husband and myself, as it turned out. We got rained on a lot, we couldn't really go further than the parking lot of our apartments for several days, we couldn't go to work (and our work ended up closing for most of that time anyway). But that was about the extent of our personal inconvenience. Where we live turns out to be the high ground of the whole town, I think, and furthermore, we live on the second floor. The power went out for a while on Friday but has stayed on ever since. And we had plenty of food and reading material and computer games to while away the time. But if you spent much time watching the news, you may have seen people who live not a mile from me. Where we live is some distance away from a big creek (we are not in the area near the reservoirs that were overflowing, we are on the other side of Houston from that) and the creek quickly overtopped its banks Saturday night and started crawling up through the neighborhoods around it. There was a little water at the far end of our street, and I'm told if you went further it quickly got deeper. That's about all I know that you couldn't get from the news or from Facebook (and I stopped looking at Facebook after a while, because too many people I know were telling stories about the water in their houses, and it was freaking me out, quite honestly). We were incredibly fortunate.

(Added, and I wish this had occurred to me before: Ways you can help)

I could stick a nail polish picture in here just to remind you what blog this is, but I've still got the same manicure (I Wand It That Way over Pixi-lated) that I had on a week ago. (Tomorrow it's going to have to go.) -- Well, ok, here's a repeat. The mani picture kind of sucked so here's just the wheel swatches - Pixi-lated is the blue on top and below that it has I Wand It That Way added:

(I really was going to post this later, but I accidentally hit post, so oh well.)


No comments:

Post a Comment