Friday, October 5, 2018

September Boxycharm box

I was watching Kathleen Lights' Boxycharm video for September, a few weeks ago, and I really liked several of the items in this box. I know you're not guaranteed to get the same items, but I've gotten a couple of Boxycharm boxes before, and in my experience so far, they're always totally worth the money. (They're $20 but they're always worth several times that, at least. In fact I believe they say it's a minimum of $100 value.) I checked Alexandria Ryan's video about the same box, to compare, and she got all the ones I liked, too - that was especially the Pretty Vulgar palette with the cool colors, and the Laura Gellar blush, and the brushes. I'm on Boxycharm's mailing list, and they were sending me e-mails saying you could still get September, so I decided to go for it. And I didn't get all three of those, but I got the palette and the brushes (and meanwhile I'd forgotten about that and ordered a blush somewhere anyway - I'll come back to that another day).

So here's what I got (there are more detail pictures under the list):
  1. Violet Voss Liquid Lipstick in Charming - it's a sort of a rose-color, very wearable (valued at $12)
  2. Luscious Angel Eyes Eyeshadow Primer/Base (valued at $14) - I don't have a good eye primer so I'm interested in trying this out, although it looks awfully yellowish (note: I have tried this out now and I really didn't notice the yellow-ness of it at all once it was actually on)
  3. Alamar Ojitos brush set (valued at $18) - three small brushes. I'm sure I'll use these, I don't have a whole lot of eye brushes (plus, they're so cute!)
  4. Girlactic Skin Glow Duo (valued at $26) - two colors of shimmery stuff
  5. Pretty Vulgar Nightingale palette (valued at $35) - as I said, I was interested because these are mostly cool-toned colors, and that seems to be pretty rare in a palette
This is not hugely over $100 value but it is a little over that, if you add up those numbers above. Anyway, I try not to obsess about the total retail value, because I figure what really matters is what's useful to me. But here I think I'll use everything except maybe the highlighter, and even that I'll at least try out. Anyway, the palette alone is worth more than you pay for this, so the rest is bonus, right?

I didn't think to do a swatch for this, but I did dab it on my lips real quick and I feel like it's close to the color of the label, here. You can also see the color in the tube below.

Here is the Girlactik highlighter stuff, which I haven't tried out yet:
I really do not do highlighters, normally - this is, like, the second time I've ever tried one. But it's pretty, creamy colors and I'm going to give it a good try before I decide to give it away!

And here's the palette:
It has a lot of dark colors, but I think it'll be fun to play with, at least. And some of these colors are really beautiful. (And Pretty Vulgar's packaging is so cute it makes you want to buy all of it!)

Here are the two videos in question. For the record, Kathleen got two of the same items I got and Alexandria got three. Both got the palette and the brushes, and Alexandria also got the eye primer. They both got the Laura Geller blusher that I was eyeing, as well, but for $20, you can't have everything.

(I don't know if you'll see the same still picture I'm seeing for this video, but Kathleen's blissful face here cracks me up. But her eyes do look beautiful!) Also: I just went back and watched the part of this video again where she does her eyes with the Nightingale palette, that's actually very helpful now that I have it!

And then Alexandria always just cracks me up, period. I love people who can do useful reviews and be funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment