Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Nail Art Wands, the bad and the good

(Sunday night)
Yesterday the Ivy League/Maisie combo was looking sort of worn, so I took that off and decided to try the Revlon neons again. I know exactly what I had in mind - it was something like this picture here. If I could get that effect, I would be happy with the white/neon combo. But I don't exactly know how they did that - do you do it with a sponge? I'm not sure. Anyway, I tried doing it with the brush and it didn't come out looking right at all. And I kept adding layers and it got so thick that I sat in bed later and scraped it off with my fingernails, it was still that soft. So yet another unsuccessful neon experiment, but I had fun playing with it, anyway.

I did decide that I heartily dislike that whole Revlon double-tipped wand concept, where nail polish is concerned. It's too unwieldy - I ended up with white polish spilled all over the place. I need something easier to use.

So I took off the remnants of that, last night before bed, and then I slept late and didn't have time to do much,  and I ended up just slapping 3 coats of Chloe over bare nails. It doesn't look bad, but I don't love it either - mostly because my nails are stained and it doesn't cover that up at all. But it does have a glazed pink-gold look to it that is pretty. (I'm pretty sure I did put a basecoat under there, although I'm not entirely sure what it was. Nail Nutrition, and maybe another basecoat over that.)


(Tuesday)
Well, Revlon has redeemed itself somewhat - I finally got around to trying the other dual-tip Nail Art wand I bought back in my Walgreen's haul a while ago, which was Orbit, from the Moon Candy collection. Polishaholic has some nice pictures of it, although it really doesn't look a lot like what I ended up with. I didn't try to take pictures because in this light at least, it's really subtle and I doubt that the phone is going to capture much. The base color is dark purple which seemed similar to OPI Who Are You Wearing, sort of a "blurple" (I still hate that word). I probably could have gotten away with one coat but I did two. Then I layered the glitter over it really lightly, and did a lot of coats. The glitter looks blue, but it's just pretty and shimmery and, well, subtle, as I already said - as subtle as it's possible for a largish flaky glitter to be, anyway. I started out by doing just the tips and worked my way down on successive coats, although I'm not sure that you can tell. I wasn't even trying to count the coats but it may have been five or six - like I said, I was trying to go light. I put Colorstay top coat on top of that, and all I had on for a base was Nail Nutrition. It's a lot of coats of polish, altogether, and I don't know how it'll wear, but for now, I really like it. Call it a win.

(I did manage to do all these coats without spilling any polish this time. You just have to hang onto the thing and be damn careful - which is not something I'm especially good at.)

No comments:

Post a Comment