Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Turn On The Northern Lights!

Here is OPI Turn On The Northern Lights!
Remember me saying I only bought one polish from the fall OPI collection? This is the one. There were other things that I liked in the Iceland collection, don't get me wrong, but this is the only one that felt like it was a "must-have" to me. (I tend to have a very literal brain and whenever anybody says something is a "must-have" I usually scoff, because really I don't think there's any such thing. Nail polish by its very nature is not actually a must-have item, and certainly no individual polish truly is. But anyway, this was the closest thing to being a must-have in this collection.)

I said before that this polish was kind of similar to Teen Spirit and it's certainly in the same ballpark - very dark and shimmery. But this is more blue where Teen Spirit is more purple, and the pigment in it is much different. I compared the shimmer in this to the "unicorn pee" pigment that was in that KBShimmer line recently (which is back in stock!) - it's probably not that same pigment because that's supposed to be really difficult to find and if OPI could get hold of enough to do a full run of (presumably) thousands of bottles, then people have been exaggerating about how rare that pigment is. But really I think the answer is that it's not that same pigment. It's very pretty, whatever it is, in any case.

This is the first OPI I've bought that has the label variant with "OPI" in giant letters. I know they've been using a similar one for the Infinite Shine polishes but this is the first time I've seen one on a main-line polish. I did buy this on eBay - meaning I go "is this real?" at the slightest provocation - but it was a seller with good rep and I have no reason to think it's a fake - the polish itself looks just like it's supposed to, as far as I know!

Aha, here's somebody's pictures where they got both the new and old bottles from this collection, so it's not just me. She complains about it there and I have to say I don't think the new labels are any improvement aside from the name being larger. Maybe that was their reasoning, I dunno - bigger is better, maybe? I've been buying OPI polish off & on for around 15 years and the print on the bottle has never changed substantially in all that time. I don't have any problem with brands updating things from time to time, but this particular change? meh.

Here's the bottom label:

(Sorry for rambling all over the place here. I saw somebody who was talking about writing blog posts say that you should write a post and then cut out 20% of it. I think there's undoubtedly truth in that, and I do cut stuff, but some days I decide you guys are just going to have to read my rambling. I write very short entries a lot, so it's not like I always do this - right?)



No comments:

Post a Comment