Thursday, February 5, 2015

Two comparisons

In this entry, I was talking about Chick Moss and Color Show Tenacious Teal looking alike, so I swatched them on a nail wheel to see. They are not dupes but they are extremely similar; the main difference is that Moss is thicker - almost a one-coater, but not quite. Tenacious Teal is thin and kind of streaky, and I think I remember complaining about the streaking issue the first time I wore it. (Yup, right here.) But it builds well and evens out, it just takes it 2 or 3 coats to become both unstreaky and opaque. As I've said before, Tenacious Teal is not what I would call teal by any stretch of the imagination, but it is maybe slightly more blue than Moss is. But not by much.

Well. I found my pictures and either I'm seriously confused or else Moss is actually more blue. Look:
I always try to let my successive layers show on nail wheels, because it's instructive. The one with 3 coats (on the right) is Tenacious Teal, I'm pretty sure. Which means Moss is the 2-coat and definitely more blue one on the left. Go figure.
(Moss is discontinued, unless you can get hold of it somewhere. Tenacious Teal is Maybelline so it is more likely to still be around.)

The second pair I swatched is Julie G Butterflies & Rosebuds compared to Pretty Serious Stuck in the Middle, which I had on the other day. I had ordered a couple of polishes from Pretty Serious back before Christmas, and as I mentioned, I put Stuck in the Middle on the other day on top of something else but didn't get a picture of it, and I thought at the time that it reminded me of Butterflies & Rosebuds, so I managed to get my hands on both of them (by which I mean, I found B&R in the chaos of my current resorting project; I knew where SitM was) and tried it. They are not dupes by any means, but they do look similar in a lot of lighting conditions.
1 - Butterflies and Rosebuds (on the left)
2 - Stuck In The Middle (on the right)

As I said, not dupes. And I'm not sure you can see the fully shimmery goodness of either one, here, but at least you can get an idea. B&R is a bit more violet and I think maybe blackened just a hair. Stuck In The Middle has iridescent glass-fleck-y stuff (look here).

No comments:

Post a Comment