Friday, April 22, 2016

Intrigue, Forget You Not, Mind The Gap + NOTD layers

I almost forgot about posting this NOTD until I stumbled across the pictures - but I came up with this in the first place because of the wheel pictures, so I'll post those first. This is Revlon Brilliant Strength Intrigue, Lynderella Forget You Not, and Rimmel 60 Seconds Mind The Gap, Victoria:
As you can see clearly on this wheel, none of my blues seem to be much alike (which suggests to me that I don't own as many blues as I think I do, but that's another story). Intrigue, the Brilliant Strength color, is rather grayed-out. Forget You Not is actually a really similar color to that, only in a glitter in what I have come to think of as the "usual" Lynnderella mix (now that I have enough Lynnderellas to compare) of various sizes of glitter. And Rimmel Mind The Gap, Victoria is lighter and brighter - what I'd think of as cornflower blue, more or less.

(As you can also see, I took these pictures right on the comforter on my bed, which has the advantage of preventing the bottles from rolling around as much as they tend to do otherwise. The pattern on the comforter is a little distracting but not too bad, I think, as long as there's plenty of contrast. When I get to the browns it might be more bothersome.)

So, Mind The Gap is brand new to me - I think I ordered it with some other odds and ends from drugstore.com - and I think I may have already had it on my nails by the time I took the picture above. So then I got all inspired about layering. Here's Mind The Gap by itself, and I really like it but it had a tendency to pull just a little bit. I don't think it's at all obvious when my hands are in motion but you can see it a couple of spots in the picture if you're looking for it.
I think this is two coats, and it's not bad. Three might get rid of it altogether. But it was bothering me and so I looked at Forget You Not and thought "A-ha!"

I had already had MTGV on for a day or so, and so now the pulling is covered up but you can still see very minor tipwear.
The tipwear is not what was bothering me here, though - what was bothering me was that this was just too damn subtle. I guess I could have added another coat of glitter and that probably would have taken care of it, but no, instead I kept experimenting, and here is where I came to grief: I added Xtreme Wear Indi-glow on top.
It's very pretty and it can't really be accused of subtlety, either. The problem here was that it wouldn't set. I haven't come across my own notes from when I wore it previously, so far, but I did find other complaints about this polish, I bought mine about the same time Pretty Girl Science bought hers, so this may  be a formula issue, or maybe even just a batch issue. Anyway, it's hardly a tragedy - I just took it all off and started over - but obviously I should have quit while I was ahead.

I couldn't quite bring myself to put Indi-glow in the destash box yet, though - I may give it one more try and just be aware that it needs extra dry-time, and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment