Saturday, February 4, 2017

Aurora

Here is Zoya Aurora:
I feel like everybody already knows about Aurora so I don't need to talk about it. But is that really true? Probably not. It came out in 2012 (I'm pretty sure of that, because Scrangie said so) but I didn't get around to buying it until a year or so ago, I guess it was in late 2015. I may talk further about that collection further down, because it's a notable one, but let's just say now that this was part of Zoya's first release of holos. Here's Zoya's description: "a full coverage, medium sugarplum purple flecked with a high concentration of micro fine diamond holographic glitter." Pretty straightforward, except that if I didn't have this picture in front of me to look at, I would not be at all sure what color "sugarplum" was. (Plums are sort of a darker version of this color, so I guess taken literally, a sugared plum might look something like this. But I really only think of sugarplums in the context of Sugarplum Fairies and the like so I don't normally think of it in the literal sense at all. Your mileage may vary.) Anyway, if you look at people's list of favorite Zoya polishes, this polish appears a lot, which is what drove me to finally buy it. And I do really like it, even though I own so many red-violets it's getting really ridiculous.

This collection was Ornate, the holiday collection from 2012. It had the three holos plus Ziv and Logan, both super-popular colors, and a bar glitter named Electra that nobody much remembers any more. (I'm pretty sure that all of those except Electra are still available, although I didn't go one by one and check. Bar glitters just get no love - and that includes from me.)

The funny thing is that I think at the time, honestly, Aurora got talked about the least, of the three holos. The one I bought first was Blaze, but the one everybody talked about was Storm. (And I ended up giving away Blaze, not because I didn't like it, but because I was aware that I'd never got around to wearing it much, and somebody I knew happened to mention it later and I said, "Oh I have that!" and I found it and gave it to her.) Ziv, the gold metallic, has dupes but it's still the first polish people mention when you talk about gold polishes, most of the time. Logan is a pretty green microglitter and I'm pretty sure it's sold well over the years. (Ooh, look, there's one of Polishaholic's comparison posts for the holiday 2012 collections.)

I started to contradict myself and say that Scrangie did actually talk about Aurora first, which she did, but if you look at the order, she apparently was going alphabetically. Aurora first, Ziv last.)

I only own the two holo glitters - well, one, now - out of this collection. I bought an L.A. Girl dupe of Storm, later (I think it's Black Illusion) and I have China Glaze's dupe of Ziv from 2013, Mingle With Kringle. It's very pretty but it stains so I rarely wear it. - Does Ziv stain? If so I've never heard anybody say so that I can remember. I haven't felt in need of a gold polish enough to bother to buy another one. And Logan's really pretty but I have too many things similar to it.

(My goodness, and I thought I didn't have anything to say about this polish.)

For the record, here's my original post about this one. It was with Orchid Of The Year, there, and I've reswatched that as well. It'll be up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment