Thursday, June 15, 2017

Candles by Victoria

I would never have thought of making a post for this if I hadn't seen people talking about CbV on YouTube. In fact, I think I may have first found Candles by Victoria from somebody on YouTube (very possibly MissHollyBerries) but it was some time ago. I'll put Holly's favorite-scents video that she did recently down at the bottom.

I've always liked to have some candles around, and I've bought them at various places over the years - Yankee Candle and brands like that, and sometimes Walmart - and there used to be a place online (also in Texas, just like CbV) called Cottage Candles that had awesome candles and sold them for super-cheap prices - possibly a little too cheap, since they aren't around any more. Anyway, my favorite scent in the autumn always used to be Claire Burke Applejack & Peel. (I don't think I ever bought candles from Claire Burke, actually, I think it was the room spray I used to buy, mostly.) I think Claire Burke is still in business, last I looked, anyway, but they're not as easy to find as they used to be and luckily CbV has an awesome Applejack & Peel scent. I've bought some scent shots (aka melts) and I've found some other scents that I like but nothing that I like as much, and this time I decided I was just going to stock up on Applejack & Peel, even though fall still seems like a long way away. It doesn't seem as fall-only as it used to to me, anyway.

I don't burn candles all the time but I especially have a thing about having a candle burning when we have thunderstorms, which this time of year happens a lot. (If the power goes out, at least then I can see my hand in front of my face!) I do use them at other times, but usually in the summer that's mostly when I light candles. It doesn't have to be a scented candle for that purpose, of course, but I do prefer the scented ones if I can find ones I really like. And we've had a lot of showery weather lately, and I was running low so I bought three candles this time. One was the jar style that is what I've always bought in the past but two were other shapes. One is the "tureen" shape which is smaller, and one is a round apothecary jar.

(On my monitor the wax in these looks here like a dark pink. It looks more red in other lights - I think maybe it's actually supposed to be red. Different scents come in different colors, although you can mix scents and I think if you do that you can also choose the color. But I like this color fine so I never even thought about changing it til now.)
This is all three (above) plus the nearing-empty one on the left - you can see how very low it is, one more long stormy evening and it'll be gone. (I notice the basic jar style has changed a bit since I last bought it - not much, but the two of them do look a bit different. I thought at first that maybe I'd ordered a different size, but when I put them next to each other, I'm pretty sure that's not it. Just a minor change of shape.)

I ordered the round apothecary jar and then I wasn't quite sure I would like it, when I looked at the picture again afterwards. But luckily, I do. It's not perfectly round; it's a little more squat than what I thought from the picture. It's a two-wick candle, as you can see.

The tureen is smaller and has one wick. I think if I'm remembering right that it was 10 ounces, where the straight-sided jar is 16 oz and the apothecary jar is 18. One thing I really like about these candles is that they burn down very neatly, all the way to the bottom, and it's not much work at the end to clean the containers out and reuse them for something else.

Candles by Victoria's website is here. It's not the very easiest website to navigate because all the candles are in one category and there are a lot of different types of candle. (They need to subdivide!) (Also don't be like me and look at all those foody candles on the front page and think they don't have anything else. They do.) They do have the occasional sale but it seems to be more often on the scent shots than on the candles.

For the record, there's no disclosures required here, I paid retail price minus a small "points" discount from my last purchase. (I really like that you don't have to wait til you get a minimum number of points to use them, that's a nice little feature.)


Holly on her favorite scents:

Holly's favorite scents are mostly not my favorites, I have to say. I don't love sweet-smelling things, for the most part. I don't want a candle that smells like cupcakes or breakfast cereal or whatever, and that seems to be what a lot of her picks are. I don't find those scents really repellent, but I don't enjoy smelling them for a long period of time, either. (My favorite scents are spicy or citrusy or green, usually.)

No comments:

Post a Comment