Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Fowl Play

Continuing with the purple theme, this is Orly Fowl Play:
This is a polish that a lot of polish people have heard of, even if they don't own it - partly (I assume) because it's said to be a close dupe for one of those legendary hard-to-find polishes, OPI Merry Midnight. Here's a comparison - they do appear to be extremely close. Merry Midnight was a holiday 2009 polish and so it probably was not ever made in large quantities. I hadn't really started following OPI that closely in 2009, so I don't remember ever seeing Merry Midnight at the time. I had started paying more attention to Orly, though, by the time the Birds of a Feather collection was released in 2011. The only one I bought at the time was Sweet Peacock, though. I had nothing like it then - I was just starting to really collect polish at the time. I remember thinking vaguely that Fowl Play sounded interesting but obviously I wasn't interested enough that I bought it. As you can guess from the big red sticker, I picked it up on clearance later - I think that was at Sally Beauty. (I always think that things that are on clearance are being discontinued, but not in this case: it's still a current color.)

Anyway, this is unusual (well, not really so unusual nowadays but certainly unusual seven years ago), in that it's a combination of flakies and regular glitter. It's a plummy color, a bit like Nfu Oh 51, although that's missing the glitter part. I like it a lot - I wonder if I would have liked it all that much if I'd bought it in 2011, or if maybe it took me a while to be able to appreciate it.


Added: an old post that also talks about this polish

No comments:

Post a Comment