Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Topic Tuesday: Polishes I regret buying

"Polishes I regret buying" is kind of a standard topic for nail bloggers, on YouTube, especially - I'll put up a couple of links to some below. But it's not something I've talked about before so I decided it's time to do it. The standard "this is just my opinion" disclaimer applies here: especially, don't take this as a slam on your taste if you like some of these. Things that bug me may not bug you, the colors that look awful on me may be great for you, etc!

My least-favorite Zoya of all time is Ali (and bear in mind that I've bought 80+ Zoyas over the years so it's a big pool!):
This is a color thing. I like this picture because you can get a good sense of how bright it is. Basically neons don't work for me because they are warm colors and I am definitely a person who looks good in cool colors. Mostly I have the sense not to buy out-and-out neons, but I guess I didn't realize how neon this one was. Here's an old entry where I tried to get it to work for me, and mostly failed. I haven't worn it since then, I'm pretty sure. (I thought I still had this polish, but I think maybe I finally gave it away to my cousin last year.)

Worst application issues: Terrybly Moving Mauve, which I bought heavily marked down, but it wasn't even worth the $7 I paid for it (much less the $30!!! it retailed for).

I don't seem to much like multicolor glitters: Funky Fingers Unicorn Farts and WnW Party of Five Glitters are two that come to mind for the regret list. (Recently I wore Daphne's Birthday Party, which is better but I'm still not in love with it.)

Here's one I didn't actually buy: Shake Your Money Maker
I didn't buy this, but if I had it would definitely belong here. I gave my sister a list and this was on it, so that sort of counts, to my mind - if I hadn't asked for it I could presumably have gotten something I'd like better, at least in theory. It looks awesome in the bottle, but I've just never been able to make it live up to that on the nail. (I'm guessing it's a good thing that I didn't ask for Lippmann Happy Birthday.)

(It's not that I hate every multicolor glitter - if I did I would have given up on them sooner. I had a big flirtation with holiday-themed glitters, although I think I'm sort of over it now. On the whole I like small glitters better than big ones.)

I thought about putting Hard Candy Sky on this list because it just doesn't look good on me, but really, it's a famous and famously-HTF polish, and I'm not sorry I bought it just because it is what it is. I don't have many things like that! (But I've tried several times to wear it and it never works on me, so it's just a collector's item, as far as I'm concerned.)

I could probably come up with some more, but I'll stop. Here are some YouTube people's opinions. I don't think I own any of the polishes they talk about.




No comments:

Post a Comment