Friday, July 1, 2016

Starry Starry Night, Playmaker

This is Essie Starry Starry Night (re-released version) and Orchid Playmaker:
I mention the version of SSN specifically because the differences are controversial. And that's because the differences are fairly significant; I read that Essie couldn't do the formula they used back when because it had diamond dust in it and the quantities that would be needed (presumably for a much larger run than the first one) just were not available. That sounds reasonable to me, although honestly I think if you're doing a significant formula change for any reason, you should give the new version a slightly different name to reflect that (even if it's just SSN 2.0).

On the monitor I'm using now, these polishes don't look especially blue in the bottle, either one of them, but they are. Playmaker is more of a packed microglitter, it's very pretty in a different way from SSN. SSN 2.0 (having made up that name, I'm going to use it) is maybe not as pretty as the fabled original version, but it's still quite nice. Dark blue, maybe slightly purple-leaning, and full of stars, as they say. (I think that's 2001, isn't it? "My god, it's full of stars!" ...I am such a geek.) (To be less poetic, it's full of silver glitter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment